Oil Change

Old 07-12-08, 06:25 PM
Oil Change

I have a 1995 camry and I personally change my oil but whenever I remove my oil filter which is located on top through the hood oil leaks out . What can I do to prevent any oil from dripping or leaking when I remove the oil filter. It seems that oil drips when removing the oil filter only when after using the vehicle. However, nothing drips when the car is cold but I cannot always have it cold when changing my oil. Any advice? Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-08, 06:44 PM
put up with the drips, it is better to have the engine warm when you drain the oil.

Old 07-13-08, 04:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
My wife used to have a car that was impossible to remove the oil filter without drowning the exhaust with oil. I ran into a boy that worked at one of those quick oil change places and asked how they did it - he laughed and then named off 3 different brands of cleaner that worked well.

I agree, it's better to change the oil warm/hot. If you wipe up the drips promptly - it's not too bad.

Old 07-13-08, 05:12 AM
If you have the space, put on one of those "SPONGY" carwash mitts when removing the filter.......and grab as close to the engine as possible....

I have seen a guy who cut a hole in the side of a half-gallon cardboard milk container, and was able to catch the oil in it , before it ran down onto the block....Worth a try...,but probably not the effort....

Search this Thread