1995 honda civic broken wheel stud

Old 07-13-08, 02:41 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
1995 honda civic broken wheel stud

Anybody got any good advice on how to remove and replace a broken wheel stud on front of 1995 honda civic without taking the big nut off the spindle, and tearing the whole assembly apart.

Old 07-13-08, 04:26 AM
W
take off the brake caliper and caliper bracket, then remove and replace the stud through the space where the caliper was.

Old 07-13-08, 04:38 AM
J
follow-up

I have the caliper and rotor off, but the studs are pressed into the wheel hub, i may be able to bang the broken stud off and cut the head off, but the only way i see the new stud going in from the back of the hub is to grind 1 side of the stud so i have the clearance to get it into the back or pull the whole hub off, but then i have to get a large metric socket to do this.

Old 07-13-08, 05:03 AM
The "Big Nut" only holds the axle stub in the hub. Removing it will NOT remove the hub......The bearing is PRESSED into the knuckle, and by no means should it be "HAMMERED " out. Remove the knuckle . Many auto parts stores have a Machinist on premises who can remove and install the hub for a minimal charge.

I usually dont recommend this......But You may grind a small notch in the new stud to clear the caliper mounts. Not the best option, but I've never had any problems.

Just enough for clearance!!!!!!! Dont hack up the stud.....

Old 07-13-08, 05:23 AM
J
follow-up

hanks for your advice, you are saying to grind one side of the head on the stud so it will clear the hole in the hub plate/

Old 07-13-08, 05:30 AM
Just the head.....Dont damage the "SPLINES" or threaded portion of the stud...... An 1/8 th inch should be plenty..

Old 07-13-08, 08:29 AM
J
uneventful fix

Well i tried the method of grinding the head on one side but i still needed more clearance, otherwise the stud is going in crooked and will be no good after it is put in, but i do thank you all for trying to help me out here, the car will just have to go to the local shop and be fixed. Again Thank you Jim

Old 07-15-08, 08:32 PM
U
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
somethings wrong with that then. I've never ran into a wheel stud that wouldn't go in after grinding a little off the head.

are you sure it's the right stud? compare it to the ones that aren't broken and make sure isn't a lot longer. If you have the right part it should go in without removing the hub from the spindle

Old 07-16-08, 01:30 AM
J
right wheel stud

I am sure it is the right wheel stud, exact diameter and length in mm. There just isn't enough clearance in the back of the hub to put the stud in even if i grind the head on one side. The degree of the angle makes it impossible to go in without really messing up the threads.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: