2000 Taurus alternator? please help

Old 07-14-08, 11:03 AM
2000 Taurus alternator? please help

Okay I am almost 100% certain the alternator is going in my 2000 ford taurus. I am trying to call a salvage place to see if they have any alternators. Well they do, but its for the type that is a 00/01 and theres another type for 2000 only. I have no idea how to get the information off my car that tells me what type of alternator i have on there. Its a 2000 Ford Taurus, 3.0 V6. I used fords VIN decoder (she said to call my local dealer...they dont want bothered and blew me off) and this is what it said:

VIN Code: 1FA
Assembly Country: USA
Make: Ford
Body Style: Wagon, Sedan
Restraint System Type (Passenger Cars) or Brake Type and GVWR Class (Trucks and Vans) - 4th Position
VIN Code: F
Restraint: BELT, ACTIVE, AIRBAG
Line,Series Body Type - 5th, 6th, 7th Positions
VIN Code: P55
Vehicle Line: Taurus
Series: SE SVG
Vehicle Type: Car/Minivan
Engine Type - 8th Position
VIN Code: U
Engine: 3.0 L
Cylinders: 6
Fuel: Gasoline
Horsepower: 145 HORSEPOWER
Model Year - 10th Position
VIN Code: Y
Model Year: 2000
Assembly Plant - 11th Position
VIN Code: G
Assembly Plant: CHICAGO: CHICAGO, IL
Production Sequence Number - 12th - 17th

I obviously cannot tell what the alternator is in this vehicle!! Anyone know how I can tell without ripping the thing out? I just want to price one right now. Is there any way to do this? Because I guess they DO have one type at the salvage yard...one they do not. I am a college student putting myself thru school solely, so funds are very tight and I need to cut corners price wise to make things like this work. Of course, I dont want a huge bill for something I could have done cheaper elsewhere, so I dont want the garage doing anything at this point until I know. Can anyone help?
Thanks so much

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-08, 05:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation