2000 Olds Alero misfiring?

Old 07-17-08, 01:07 PM
2000 Olds Alero misfiring?

I have a 2000 Olds Alero with 132,000 miles on it. I have noticed in the last few days when I am driving at freeway speeds the car seems to have kind of a "hicup". It isn't constant, but it will happen a probably 3 or 4 times on my 30 mile commute to work. The check engine light hasn't come on and the car had new plugs and wires installed at 105,000. Any ideas on what could be causing this? Would a scan tool be able to get any information about the problem?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-08, 03:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Are you sure it's the motor? Could it be your transmission? My wife had a Dodge Stratus that did this on the highway, felt like ...surging....I never bothered to fix it but I believed it was the TCM or the tranny itself....

Old 07-17-08, 03:53 PM
No I don't know if it is the motor for sure. I guess there is an equal chance of the transmission having the problem. Thanks for the quick reply

Old 07-17-08, 05:31 PM
By a hiccup, do you mean like some effect where it seems like the car just sort of quits pulling, without anythign real concrete, like, there isn't even a misfire? More like just a flat spot that occurs?

If so, I have noticed that when I am in cruise control on the highway, I can get a situation where the car sort of catches up with itself on a slight downhill, that can cause the flat spot sensation to occur. YOU in cruise, or not, when that happens?

Old 07-18-08, 06:01 AM
Ecman,

Yes I have the cruise on when this situation happens. I see what you are saying. I have also noticed it when the cruise is off, not as bad but still there.

Thanks,

Old 07-18-08, 06:35 AM
I believe a cruise control can get stuck to where if you think you do not have it in cruise, it might be. Have you ever tried to let off the gas to see if the car slows down, when NOT in cruise, both at various times and also when this occurs?

I find it interesting that you do say it appears worse (more often, or a more noticeable sensation?) in cruise. So there may indeed be something to this theory.

Hopefully others may weigh in.

Old 07-18-08, 06:44 AM
Something strange. My screen keeps jumping to some other sites while in the middle of posts, and I lost the edit button on my last post already, and am losing more and more posts! Here we go again:

Since your thread has "missfire" in the title, we have to clear up as to if indeed you really have a missfire, or, if it is some sensation more as I described, as to where the car appears to just stop pulling momentarily, as this may greatly alter as to which theories of what might be wrong with your car, may or may not apply.