2000 Ford Expedition....

Old 06-13-08, 08:11 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
2000 Ford Expedition....

No cruise control and no horn. Cruise control buttons are on the steering wheel. From what I have been reading on these forums, I gather that I may have a "clock spring" problem? Here is how I got to where I am now.......... Driving on highway, went to set the cruise and it did not come on. Then I tried to sound the horn and it did not work either. Checked the #7 fuse for the horn (the fuse panel in the engine compartment) and it was blown. Replaced bad fuse with new 20A fuse. Horn worked and cruise worked for the next two times that I was out and about. Now, I again have no horn and no cruise. ALL fuses in both fuse panels, including #7, have been pulled and ALL are fine. So, does this sound like a "clock spring" problem to you all? If so, is there a way to tell for sure? I have the dash apart already, but I have no idea what I am looking for.

Thanks in advance

Old 06-14-08, 07:58 AM
W
Had the re-call on the cruise fixed today. While at the dealership I ordered a "clock spring" ($95.00). It is back ordered and I should get it Tuesday. Meanwhile, I am off to pull the steering wheel to see if I can find anything suspicious looking? I will be EXTRA EXTRA careful with air-bag!

Old 06-14-08, 02:47 PM
W
Will I have to pull the steering wheel to get to the clock spring? I was able to get the airbag and horn off with no problems. I loaned out my wheel puller to a friend, so I will have to wait until I get it back to pull the wheel. That is if I have to?

Old 06-18-08, 02:11 PM
W
Changed clock spring yesterday, but that didn't fix the problem. Still no horn and no cruise control.....Anyone have any ideas?

Old 06-29-08, 03:14 PM
D
Cruise Control

My '01 did the same thing. Had the recall done, and it has worked since. The dealership claims they didn't do any work for the recall because mine had a different part number than the one under recall. Doesn't help, I know, but just wanted to share.

Old 07-03-08, 02:57 PM
W
No auto electrical shops wanted to tackle this problem of mine, so I broke down and took it to the dealer. Mon. (6-30-08) They had to run a diagnostic test ($40). Why the hell they had to run diagnostic test for an electrical problem, I will never know? Was told the whole air-bag assembly (almost $700)had to be replaced, because the horn switch is located in the air-bag housing. Also that the switches for the cruise were bad. ($250). Had them put in new switches, and cruise worked for the trip home. Next trip, two hours later, and no cruise. Took back to dealer Wednesday. The next diagnosis is that the switch in the brake pedal is malfunctioning and needs to be replaced ($70). Picked up today and while driving home tried the cruise, and hell no It doesnt work! Now I have another appointment for after the Holiday weekend.

Old 07-03-08, 03:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Oh my goodness. They are robbing you..........I think you got a bad clockspring again.

Old 07-03-08, 04:59 PM
W
Man, I hope the clockspring isn't bad. When I bought it, there was a big sign that said "all sales final on electrical componets" and the guy working the counter made it a point to verbally tell me the same thing.

Old 07-16-08, 07:04 PM
W
Allright, after the dealer had my vehicle all last week, they couldn't fix it. They replaced the clockspring (again!) and it still didn't fix the problem. Now the "cruise" indicator light flashes about every 3 seconds?????? Ayone know what may cause this?

Old 07-16-08, 08:01 PM
Originally Posted by wshniwazfshn
) They had to run a diagnostic test ($40). Why the hell they had to run diagnostic test for an electrical problem, I will never know?
Well because it is an electrical concern... and to properly diagnose an electrical concern is to run diagnostics. Also, understand that "Diagnostics" doesnt just mean hooking up a computer to your vehicle. It is any time spent determining the root cause of a problem. It would be in your best interest to take your vehicle to a different dealership is they couldnt fix it. No sense in spending any more money there without any positive results.
The reason the light is flashing is because there is some type of fault that has been detected. You need to have it properly diagnosed. Anything put in here is going to be simply a guess at best.
Hope this helps ya,
Billy

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: