700R4 fluid leaks

Old 07-22-08, 05:29 PM
700R4 fluid leaks

i have just upgraded my 69 camaro from a powerglide to a 700r4 ,the transmission is working great the only prolbem is when i park the car and it sets for 4 to 6hours it leaks trany fluid everywhere im not talking a drip its just about runs out the pan gasket on the passenger side,i have changed the gasket 3 times checked the pan with a straight edge,its not a main seal it doesnt leak when the engine is running,i checked the cooling lines to the cooler there good also,put new o ring in dipstick its not leaking any ideas as to whats up

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-08, 07:48 PM
It sounds like you may have a foaming issue. What type of fluid are you using? Have you installed any additives? Also is it possible that you have the wrong dipstick and tube? If you are overfilling the transmission that could be the cause of the leak and/or foaming.
Hope this helps ya,
Billy

Old 07-24-08, 12:54 AM
thanks for the reply i never though about foaming how can i confirm this im useing dextron 3 fluid the dip stick was on transmission when i got it i assume thats it is the correct one

Old 07-24-08, 07:01 PM
Was the tranny rebuilt for you? When it does this you could watch it and hopefully see where it is coming from. Im not real sure what causes foaming other than fluid level issues. I have seen it, just never repaired it. It is also possible that there may be an internal issue that is causing the foaming. Hence the reason for the rebuild question. If so I would consider taking it to whomever built it.
Billy

Old 07-24-08, 07:20 PM
if it is leaking out the pan gasket you will need to replace the gasket and use a sealer on it also use a torque wrench or drill with a clutch to tighten but not over tighten the bolts. if the fluid is foaming it will push the fluid out over the top of the dipstick tube.
before changing the pan gasket out again replace the dipstick tube gasket. it can look like the pan gasket leaking from where it runs out.

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies

Old 08-02-08, 06:46 PM
thanks again for the views it all helps,well i removed the pan again and gasket some of the bolt holes were preturding pasted the surface and with no surprise it leaked not as much but after 5 hours it started dripping,over nite it loses aprox.one half a pint to a pint depending on how long it sets if you start the car every hour or two it doesnt leak a drop i did find some bolt holes stripped addressing that now,