Looking for best OBD2 code reader for $100.00

Old 07-28-08, 03:47 PM
Looking for best OBD2 code reader for $100.00

I have been looking for a OBD2 code reader for $100.00 or less. Looking at the Actron CP9175, and wanted to ask if there was a better one on the market for about the same price. Thanks for looking, and any help.

Himeros

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-08, 05:15 PM
Is this for personal use???

OBD2 code readers are VERY generic, and there are alot of things they simply just cant do. If this is just for the basic stuff on a personal vehicle, Fine, but anything more involved than basic emission group codes, and youre out of luck.

As far as "BETTER"....anything that suits your needs will suffice. I wouldnt spend alot of cash on a generic code reader , as you would better spend the money having it diagnosed properly , when the "Reader" wont suffice.

Old 07-29-08, 04:37 AM
Group Moderator
I have a Cen-Tech that's similar to this one:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=98614

Mine is a little older and probably doesn't have as many functions, but it suffices for me.

Old 07-29-08, 07:01 AM
My 2 cents

I have one like Tow guy the actron brand and it is pretty good and can clear codes and can be had for under a C note,
However it just does engine codes no transmission codes or any other codes like ABS,etc. I suspect one like that would be quite a bit more cash.
Sorry Tow guy I see you do not have a Actron. But it looks like yours does about the same and might even be made by Actron.

Old 07-29-08, 10:25 AM
"as you would better spend the money having it diagnosed properly , when the "Reader" wont suffice."

If you can find that person that can do that, let me know. I bought a small commerical Isuzu, cab over with the 350 chevy motor, the same truck as the Jimmy, made in the same plant. The engine light came on the first month, and most every month or two for years, and the factory where I bought the truck new, couldn't find the problem. Each time, I left it, sometimes renting a truck so I could run my business. I gave up, after several years of them trying and failing. After a new motor, and most every part you can think of, the light is on again now. I want to see what I can do, as the factory, and the shop next door, can't seen to find and fix the problems. So much for those experts that can read the code, and fix problems. The code reader is just a tool, but if the person working on the truck hasn't the experence or knowledge, it won't help, they just start replacing parts. Just my story and .02 worth.

Himeros

Old 07-29-08, 12:51 PM
Group Moderator
Oops. After reading michael's post I went and looked. I actually have an Actron CP9145 like this:

http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B00020B...00-gg319918-20

Old 08-01-08, 03:26 PM
The cheapest thing I have done that works fairly well is an ELM327 box connected to my laptop. If I remember right the box was around $60 and the software is freeware. Scantool.net I think.

I have a Scanguage now too, it determines fuel economy too but it's about $170. Worth the difference I think.

Old 08-01-08, 04:22 PM
I found a Actron 9175 on Ebay with the usb cable, cost was just under $100.00 total. I did a lot of research, and there was two I really liked, but desided on this one because of being able to update using the usb and my computer. Thanks for the feed back and help. I did like the ones that gives you the mileage, and other things, but figured I really didn't need it.

Himeros

Old 08-03-08, 08:15 AM
Mac tools sells a real nifty one for about seventy bucks.