1997 dodge caravan grinding noise when changing gears (with brake)

Reply

  #1  
Old 07-29-08, 08:40 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 9
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 1997 dodge caravan grinding noise when changing gears (with brake)

Hello All,

It is urgent, I need all your help please.

My 1997 dodge caravan 6cyl, is making grinding sound when brake about few seconds for gear changing especially to reverse it's grinding louder. As long as I release the brake, that sound stops.
There is no sound in parking gear.

Does it sound like transmission problem?

Any input is fully appreciated!
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 07-29-08, 10:32 AM
crazycory22's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 375
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would check your front brake pads, and rear brake drums RIGHT AWAY. It sounds like they are completely worn out and, you have metal to metal contact.
 
  #3  
Old 07-29-08, 11:03 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 9
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crazycory22 View Post
I would check your front brake pads, and rear brake drums RIGHT AWAY. It sounds like they are completely worn out and, you have metal to metal contact.
No, it is not brake. It's only grinding when make a gear changing with your brake (which means you need to hold brake before changing gears. That noise occurred if holding the brake with gear changing. Otherwise, brake on stops or driving is no problem).
That grinding comes from where the transmission is located.

Thanks for your input.
 
  #4  
Old 07-29-08, 11:04 AM
Member
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: North Texas
Posts: 2,345
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Good advise

The brake check is good advise. does it grind after gear change with brakes on?
 
  #5  
Old 07-29-08, 11:11 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 9
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by michael van View Post
The brake check is good advise. does it grind after gear change with brakes on?
Yes, it does grind after gear changes with brake on. As long as I release its brake, that sound goes away. The grinding sound comes from where its transmission is located.

Seems you might know something here.

Thank you so much for your help !
 
  #6  
Old 07-30-08, 06:43 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 9
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I forgot to mention, my van has automatic transmission with 6cyl.

Also, that the grinding sound is accompanied with some kind of vibrations.
 

Last edited by junky; 07-30-08 at 07:28 AM.
  #7  
Old 07-30-08, 07:16 AM
Gunguy45's Avatar
Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 21,119
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Just to clarify...the noise occurs when you are stopped, foot on the brake, not moving..while changing from park to reverse or park to drive?

Noise does not happen while moving, whether stopping, slowing, or taking off from a stop. Noise does not happen after you have stopped and shift from other gears back into park?
 
  #8  
Old 07-30-08, 08:43 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 9
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
Just to clarify...the noise occurs when you are stopped, foot on the brake, not moving..while changing from park to reverse or park to drive?

Noise does not happen while moving, whether stopping, slowing, or taking off from a stop. Noise does not happen after you have stopped and shift from other gears back into park?
1. yes, it happens both ways P -> d (grind and shake), and/or P -> R (P to R, the sound is louder and shaking a bit stronger(or vibrate, whatever you call).

2.
-it does sound when stops, but not when taking off from a stop.

-No sound when shifting back to park.

Appreciate !
 
  #9  
Old 07-30-08, 09:13 AM
Gunguy45's Avatar
Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 21,119
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Ok Junky, I was just getting the symptoms clear for the Pro's to comment on. No kind of expert with cars...just the basics.

I'm sure some of them will be on later. But I can't believe it would be a good thing to be driving it. At the least it could be causing more damage, at the worst it could be unsafe to drive.
 
  #10  
Old 07-30-08, 09:19 AM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 9
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
Ok Junky, I was just getting the symptoms clear for the Pro's to comment on. No kind of expert with cars...just the basics.

I'm sure some of them will be on later. But I can't believe it would be a good thing to be driving it. At the least it could be causing more damage, at the worst it could be unsafe to drive.
Thank you so much for your input.

My van is out of town, I would like to know it is safe to drive 6 hours back home for local repair shop or so.
 
  #11  
Old 07-30-08, 12:30 PM
Unclediezel's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Northeastern PA.
Posts: 2,230
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Two things come to mind...

1---You have one or more broken engine mounts, which will make a "Creak" or Scraping"noise when the engine moves. This isnt apparent when not holding the brake, because the power is transmitted to the wheels and turned into motion.....As opposed to Braking and the torque transmitted to the "Twisting Motion of the engine....

2----A loose axle nut.......In which case..the hubs and axles are worn and must be replaced......However, This scenario would probably cause other problems, and make noises when accelerating, or turning a corner.
 
  #12  
Old 07-30-08, 12:50 PM
Gunguy45's Avatar
Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 21,119
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
UncD I was actually thinking of a motor mount, but didn't know if this was a transverse mount. Guess it would have to be huh? Also didn't know if a broken transverse mount acts the same.

Love learning stuff everyday on here...but I think my brain is getting full.
 
  #13  
Old 07-30-08, 01:11 PM
Unclediezel's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Northeastern PA.
Posts: 2,230
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gunguy....


I actually have an old Dodge Dynasty in the shop the last 2 days. The trans mount is so bad , that when you accelerate the car, the CV axle hits the body. It tore out 2 axles in the last week, before it came to us......

Junky......I would suggest you take it somewhere and at least have it looked at by a Competent mechanic before attempting to drive it 6 + hours.......If only just for piece of mind....The 75 bucks it will cost you to have it looked at will be far cheaper than the tow bill , just to get it off the road......
 
  #14  
Old 07-30-08, 01:25 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 9
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Unclediezel View Post
Two things come to mind...

1---You have one or more broken engine mounts, which will make a "Creak" or Scraping"noise when the engine moves. This isnt apparent when not holding the brake, because the power is transmitted to the wheels and turned into motion.....As opposed to Braking and the torque transmitted to the "Twisting Motion of the engine....

2----A loose axle nut.......In which case..the hubs and axles are worn and must be replaced......However, This scenario would probably cause other problems, and make noises when accelerating, or turning a corner.
Unclediezel,

Appreciate for you insight!

1. this may it! If so, how much does it cost for repair? or something that I be able to do it myself?

I was already took to the shop, they say they do not know what is going on and recommended me to the transmission specialist.

Regards,
 

Last edited by junky; 07-30-08 at 01:48 PM.
  #15  
Old 07-30-08, 01:58 PM
Unclediezel's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Northeastern PA.
Posts: 2,230
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Please realize that I cant "See" your car over the net......With that said......

Internal transmission problems would typically cause a consistent issue, all the time under all conditions. A damaged or worn Carrier bearing or "Spiders" definitely could cause a grind when you request a change in direction, but would also be accompanied by other symptoms such as severe road speed vibration, and a CONSTANT noise that would vary according to Traveling speeds.
 
  #16  
Old 07-30-08, 02:04 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 9
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Unclediezel View Post
Please realize that I cant "See" your car over the net......With that said......

Internal transmission problems would typically cause a consistent issue, all the time under all conditions. A damaged or worn Carrier bearing or "Spiders" definitely could cause a grind when you request a change in direction, but would also be accompanied by other symptoms such as severe road speed vibration, and a CONSTANT noise that would vary according to Traveling speeds.
Everything is fine. The noise only occurs when from P to D, and P to R. As long as the pedal accelerate, the van runs very smooth.

Thanks
 
  #17  
Old 08-02-08, 08:30 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 9
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I replaced the transmission mount,. The shaking is gone. However that noise is still there but softer than before (transmission mount replaced).
Also, there is some noise inside its transmission like a piece of dropping metal when brake on with D or R gear (I couldn't remember does it occurred before or not). As long as I release the brake, no dropping sound is hear.

What else can be done from here? Please help !!!

Appreciate to all the help.
 
  #18  
Old 08-02-08, 09:09 PM
Speedwrench's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,698
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
if you still have banging inside of the trans you will need to pull the pan and inspect the trans. My guess is a band or pin broken. I would be very hesitant to road the vehicle any length of time or distance. you could be causing massive internal damage to a housing or sun gears. sorry but that is what it sounds like to me.

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies
 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: