Strange question

Old 08-01-08, 10:41 PM
Strange question

I have rebuilt my 350 Chevy engine and I have some pieces left from the build. I want to make a coster from one of the pistons however, this means that I will need to separate it from the skirt. I only want the top of the piston from the top ring. What tool would be the right tool for cutting threw a piston? I believe it to be Aluminium however, it could be cast iron. It's a stock piston if that helps anyone.

Thanks
-Nate

Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-08, 03:57 AM
Nate, it is aluminum, and any hackasw, bandsaw or saws all should be able to cut it with no problem. I hahe seen people make ashtrays out of pistons but never a coaster.

Old 08-02-08, 08:45 PM
I have seen a piston with the rod , made into a small clock. They put the clock works from a hobby shop in the rods big end.

After the piston was skirt off. I have seen them made into a small wall clock.

Old 08-03-08, 03:26 PM
Well i cut threw them with a hacksaw. It took 2 hours for 1 with a dull blade then an hour for the other with a new blade.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Any idea for a project with a camshaft?

Old 08-03-08, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator
Nate yer way too obsessed...2 hrs? jeez..Next time use a sawsall and a file to clean it up.

Weld a base on the cam, then put one of the other pistons on top...standing ashtray....or grind the guts out of the piston and push in a koozie and its a beer holder for the porch.