2003 Ford Escape - Reversed Jump, radio/remote keys not working

Old 08-04-08, 06:30 PM
2003 Ford Escape - Reversed Jump, radio/remote keys not working

Alright, girlfriend needed a jump so I connected my car jumper cables and then she connected to her Escape. Sadly I didn't look and she had them reversed as there was red goop on the negative side and red = positive in her mind.

Anyways, got it jumped, put in a new battery, and now the only problem is the radio doesn't work (car on or off), the remote key lock doesn't work, the power locks won't work unless the key is in the ignition (accessory position).

Obviously something's not providing any power when the car is off. I've checked all relevant fuses (radio/power locks, big in the engine bay and smaller in the kick panel) and they all look good. Maybe the big black accessory relay plug? How do you go about checking that plug, voltmeter?

Thanks guys,
-E

Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-08, 09:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You can go to this link to try to reprogram the door remotes.
I am concerned that some components may have been fried when they were hit with the reverse voltage.

http://safemanuals.com/user-guide-in...RD/ESCAPE-2003

Old 08-05-08, 06:14 AM
Yeah I have the manual and attempted the door remote reprogramming (turn on and off 8 times, doors should lock and then unlock) but the remote won't be much good if I can't hit the inner door button and lock/unlock without the key in the ignition.

Thanks for the idea though.

Old 09-20-08, 06:46 PM
Exclamation rivalyn

Originally Posted by Rivalyn View Post
Yeah I have the manual and attempted the door remote reprogramming (turn on and off 8 times, doors should lock and then unlock) but the remote won't be much good if I can't hit the inner door button and lock/unlock without the key in the ignition.

Thanks for the idea though.
have you found the cause of this problem? just let me know, i might be able to help you with it.

Old 01-22-11, 01:48 PM
Did you find out how to fix it? I have the same problem with my 2002 Escape. Reverse jumped and now the dome lights and stereo dont work at all and the locks only work when the ignition is on.

Please I'd appreciate any insights on this.

Old 01-23-11, 05:51 AM
Group Moderator
Neither rivalyn nor gregg has been back since the original thread 2+ years ago, so unlikely to get a response from either. My advice would be take it to a good repair shop. Tracking down what is fried is probably not DIY work. For starters you will likely need a factory-grade wiring diagram, so if you're going to attempt it yourself I would order a factory service manual or at least the wiring diagrams. Here's a couple of sources:

Helm Incorporated: Search Results

DIY Repair Manuals - Escape, 2003 Ford Escape

Old 01-25-11, 05:58 PM
its very possible that you fried certain components in the smart junction box. its the interior fuse panel but a lot more too. it actually has a couple different modules in it which does control a lot of the functions that you are not getting. sorry to say it is a high dollar item