No Restart after engine is shut off

Old 08-06-08, 02:30 PM
No Restart after engine is shut off

I have a 92 Olds 88 ( 3800 ) 238k miles, and yesterday coming home from work* the car shuddered and stalled, and would not restart. After about 15 minutes it started and ever since it wont start after it is warmed up and shut off. Haven't had a problem with this vehicle in a long time. I know there is a sequence for tracing down the problem but I cant find where I had it written down, and my haynes manual isn't much help on troubleshooting. When it is cold or after it sets for 15 or 20 minutes, it starts right up. Any help will be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-08, 03:48 PM
Group Moderator
There are some ignition system electric/electronic parts that will sometimes start to fail in that manner. Ignition module can be a prime suspect and some parts stores can test them.

Here's some troubleshooting help:

http://www.autozone.com/shopping/rep...00c152800b1b3e

Old 08-06-08, 04:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The fact you said it "shuttered" means maybe it's NOT shutting off electrically to the coil, like when you turn off the key, - which means it could be fuel pump/gas related, or an electrical connection dealing with fuel delivery.

When electric fuel pumps go out they can behave oddly in that mannor of shutting off, then will restart after a while. You might make it down the road 20 miles, then shut it off, but then it won't restart. But then will start 15 minutes later, and you might drive with the car running perfectly fine for 3 more miles and then it stumbles and shuts off again.

If you had throttle body injection you could try to see if spraying starting fluid in it gets it to start up or at least fire on some cylinders with the spray, so then you can better determine if your problem is fuel or bad wire connection related to the fuel/pump. Or, if it is ignition-electrical related.

Old 08-08-08, 09:07 AM
Checked for spark while it was in fail condition. There was nothing to the plugs ( checked with spark tester set at 35000 ), No spark to injectors ( checked with noid light ). So I think it is the Crankshaft sensor. Is there any other ideas out there. All responses are appreciated.

Old 08-08-08, 03:38 PM
Trying to change the crankshaft sensor, but I can't get the bolt off the pulley. I was searching previous posts and found out how much trouble they can be. I've used 1/2 inch breaker bar and twisted one of my extensions. Locked a pair of vise grips on the fly wheel to stop it from turning. It doesn't move but neither does the bolt. I saw where alot of you guys suggest bumping the starter with the breaker bar on. I just need to know for sure wheather the bolt loosens CCW or CW. Then I can determine if I can do it this way or not. This is 92 Olds 88 3.8 liter V6

Old 08-13-08, 03:16 AM
Changed the crankshaft sensor and the vehicle ran fine. The next morning I was going to work and hit a skunk. (terrible terrible ) Well I started to get a clicking sound and I figured that part of the skunk might have gone through my belt and damaged it . I couldn't mount the splash shield till I got some new fasteners. It ticked for a couple of days but was running fine so I figured I'd have time to check it out this weekend. Well this morning it would turn over fine but would not fire at all. So I'm worried that some thing might have hit and damaged the pulley or sensor. Any ideas out there. All help is appreciated. Thanks in advance

Old 08-13-08, 05:15 AM
Group Moderator
I agree. If you bullseyed the skunk could very well have damaged the sensor or knocked something else out of whack. Have you checked for codes? Very easy on an OBD-I GM:

http://www.troublecodes.net/GM/

Old 08-13-08, 04:16 PM
Hey tow guy.
Thanks for the reply. I've got an Auto Xray ez scan 5000. The only code I set is a 34 for the maf sensor, but thats been setting when it warms up for 2 years. I've replaced the MAF sensor, the computer and done the flow chart and nothing has worked. That being said it still ran well and went into closed loop, and was getting 27-28 MPG. This morning when I was cranking it over the RPMS said zero. But I'm not sure how accurate the scanner readings would be if it isn't running. So I quess I'll tear it apart again this weekend and see if I can find anything. All replies are appreciated .

Old 08-16-08, 06:15 PM
Well it turned out the center magnet was broken off the sensor. This time it only took a couple of hours though. And this time I had new fasteners for the splash shield also. No more taking chances.