Overheating Help ??

Old 08-18-08, 05:55 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Overheating Help ??

My 1994 GMC 1500 pickup is overheating and there is water dripping into the passenger side floorboard, so..... I'm guessing the heater coil is gone or something. I really can't afford to get it fixed right now, but I have heard that you can re-direct the water system around the heater coil and keep the system from overheating. I would like to find out how so that I can keep going to and from work until I can afford to get the truck to a mechanic. Can this be done ??

Old 08-18-08, 06:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
There will be two coolant hoses going into the firewall. Cut them and splice them together with a barbed fitting you can buy at a auto store.

Old 08-18-08, 06:35 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Just disconnect your 2 hoses at your firewall, inside the engine compartment. Sometimes getting the hoses off the barbed ends of the heater core can be difficult as they weld on after time. You could cut them off if you have enough hose to work with. Then use either a barbed connector to go inside each heater hose (if plastic, it must be heat resistant type), or simply use a piece of copper pipe of appropriate diameter and rough up the outside of it with emory cloth or moderately course sand paper first. Then slip it inside each end of the heater hoses. Sanding it is just an added guarantee to prevent the hose from pulling off the coupling when system is under pressure. Depending on the length of available heater hose and engine parts in the vicinity, you may have to do a little more adlibbing. For example, you might find that it may be better if you made up a u-shape piece of pipe.

Or, you could also make up a t-fitting so you can have have an additional piece of heater hose (you'd have to buy some) stick up higher than the thermostat. Ontop the riser heater hose you'd have a male hose fitting with a brass cap with a rubber washer in it. This way you have a way of eliminating any air pocket. Or if air did develop it could go up that riser. Then, when you top off your coolant, instead of just pouring more in your radiator, instead you undo that cap, along with your radiator cap cover, pour coolant in that riser cap and watch the coolant rise in your radiator. (I made such a system in my own car, and it's been in there a long time. Decided to do that when I found that the plug for bleeding the air out won't readily unscrew out.)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: