Grayish-white smoke coming from exhaust..

Old 08-16-08, 08:19 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Grayish-white smoke coming from exhaust..

Hi, im new to the forum here and wondering if someone can help me out. I have an 86 chevy truck with a 80 305 thats constantly smoking. At first, it just smoked when i first started it and now it smokes all the time. At first i thought it was a head gasket because of the white smoke but i haven't lost any coolant and theres no oil in the cooling system. I have noticed it's losing oil though and theres no leaks so it's gotta be burning it. I always thought blue smoke was ring blow by or valve seals and white smoke was likely a head gasket...do it have it backwards. This motor doesn't have any emissions on it and i don't know the mileage on it either My county doesn't have or require an emissions test. Another thing, i noticed when i rub my finger in the tailpipe it has an oily touch to it. Thanks and any help would be appreciated.

Old 08-16-08, 09:18 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You certain it is not using any coolant? None? Have you checked the reservoir AND radiator?

Are you looking at the tailpipe smoke with the sun shining on it? Yes, if oil it be blue.

How badly does it smoke? Describe the amount at start up and driving down the road.

Aren't you afraid of being pulled over by the police?

It doesn't have a sweet smelling odor to it does it? (Have you gone back there to smell it?)

Does it smoke worse when you let off the gas pedal, especially after heavy throttle during load? And how do you know? Is someone else in the vehicle who can look good, or have you had anyone follow you to tell you?

Curiously, you never said how many miles are on this vehicle. And if the engine, has ever had any kind of major rebuild done in it's history, that you know of. (And if so, at what year and mileage)

Old 08-16-08, 04:12 PM
G
grayish-white smoke

I got my son out here to look at the smoke cause my eyes are not the greatest and he told me the smoke is more of a blueish color. That pretty well sums it up. It smokes pretty bad when first started and gets a little better during idle. When i rev it up it smokes a little but when i release the pedal i get alot more smoke. I also had my son follow me and he said it smokes a little but it's not that bad until i punch it to go into passing gear, then it smokes quite a bit. I have no idea what kind of mileage the motor has on it but it doesn't look like it's had any engine work done on it recently. As far as me worrying about the police, i live in a small town and theres only a couple of cops on duty and one of them im friendly with. I have a 250 inline 6 cylinder with low miles sitting in my garage that came out of another truck i had. I might just swap it out....anyway thanks for the help.

Old 08-16-08, 05:06 PM
E
You might throw in a pint bottle of one of those motor honey type oil additives and see if that reduces it some. It is recommended for old worn engines, and mfg.'s claim on bottle it reduces oil consumption, restores lost power, and more. You have the same problem as me. Mine does not smoke at all (yet) going down the road, or once warmed up a little, even, and idling. I run about 20% 'motor honey' in it now. Brands might say STP Oil Treatment, Lucas, Motor Honey, Gunk Oil Treatment (I buy this one cheap at my big box home center) etc.

Old 08-16-08, 05:53 PM
G
I might give that restore a shot and see if it helps at all. I never had much faith in additives in the pass but nowadays they've got all kinds of new stuff out that people swear by. Anyway thanks again and good luck with yours.

Goatman

Old 08-16-08, 06:38 PM
M
white smoke is oil. and you need to change the valve cover seals. they are very inexpensive. is the labor that might cost you. that's why you are losing the oil because it is being burned not leaked.
black smoke is gasoline but that's not your problem so don't worry about that.

Old 08-18-08, 06:18 AM
E
Originally Posted by miklo
. and you need to change the valve cover seals.
Just so the goatman knows, miklo, you did not mean to have the word "cover" in there, right?

goatman,

Be sure to read MY thread about the blue (and yes white too) smoking.

Old 08-25-08, 03:05 PM
Question smoke from tailpipe

have you checked your brake fluid lately? If the diaphram in the power(you do have them right?) brake booster has a leak, the vacuum from the engine will draw fluid(if the master is leaking) into the engine causing white smoke. check it out. you did say the tail pipe was oily right??

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: