R&R 97 maxima A/c compressor

Old 08-22-08, 10:20 PM
R&R 97 maxima A/c compressor

I have a 97 Maxima and like so many others...the clutch started grinding while the compressor was off, and sounded fine while running. Now it has quit blowing cold and I have purchased the NEW compressor and am hoping I can simply remove the hoses, plug, place in the new one and charge for a fix. if I am gonna do that should or would I have to replace the expansion valve? any insight or website would be helpful thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-08, 01:42 PM
Compressor Replacement

You're going to want to replace the filter drier. That's the main filter in the A/C system. It has a desiccant bag in it that filters all the dirt and debris, as well as moisture, from the A/C system. Also, you didn't mention pulling a vacuum. You MUST remove all the air from the system before you add refrigerant. You can rent or borrow a vacuum pump from one of the local auto parts store. Really, if you don't pull a vacuum after installing everything, you'll have huge problems. As for the expansion valve, I wouldn't worry about that unless you see a lot of metal shavings in the oil from the old compressor. If you do see metal shavings, consider also having the condenser flushed out.