2002 ford focus help

Old 08-23-08, 08:38 PM
Question 2002 ford focus help

Hey guys

My girlfriend's Ford Focus (2002 4 door, I think 2.2L engine) has been sitting in a garage for about two years. It wasn't set up for long term storage. We went to move it and it wouldn't start.

We had the battery checked and it was shot. After buying a new battery today and connecting it it still would not start. The starter turns over, but it won't go any further.

What should we try to get it started? starter fluid? Where do you squirt that? I'm good with things like changing shocks and stuff like that, but when it comes to starting, after checking the battery I have zero experience.

Besides starter fluid should we try some kind of fuel additive?

Please help us get this thing running! Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-08, 05:02 AM
Group Moderator
Getting a car running that's been sitting for two years is not really a DIY project unless you're pretty good with cars. Just for starters the gas in the gas tank is practically worthless and will have to all be drained out (and properly disposed of). Any fuel that was remaining in critical places like intake passages and injectors has now turned to varnish, so gummed up injectors is a possibility.

For starters listen at the gas cap when the key is turned on to see if you can hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds. Next, pull a spark plg wire and hold it near ground to see if you have spark. If you have spark, remove the rubber duct between the air cleaner box and the intake, open the throttle, and squirt a small amount of fresh gas into the intake throat. Try cranking; if you get a little cough you probably have a fuel delivery problem. I don't recommend using starting fluid. It's ether and is highly flammable/exposive.

Any particular reason why the car just sat for two years?

Old 08-24-08, 08:23 AM
Thanks for the help towguy!

It sat for a variety of personal reasons. A bankruptcy/multi state divorce. Neither could afford to make car payments AND insurnace payments so it sat while only car payemtns were made. Neither wanted to think about it so when it was in the garage it was "out of sight, out of mind".

We are moving so basically we told her ex to come get it or it was getting reposessed.

So if we get the little cough what would the next step be? I have a ton of other projects going like getting my house ready tos ell and getting my Jeep ready to haul us to Texas. Plus I really don't have room to do stuff like drop a fuel tank and whatever else would be involved.

I was hoping this was not going to be a repair shop gig, but it's sounding like it will be.

Old 09-03-08, 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy View Post
For starters listen at the gas cap when the key is turned on to see if you can hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds. Next, pull a spark plg wire and hold it near ground to see if you have spark. If you have spark, remove the rubber duct between the air cleaner box and the intake, open the throttle, and squirt a small amount of fresh gas into the intake throat. Try cranking; if you get a little cough you probably have a fuel delivery problem. I don't recommend using starting fluid. It's ether and is highly flammable/exposive.

I'm pretty sure I can hear the fuel pump. I put fuel system cleaner in the tank, along with 10 gallons of high octane fuel. I put a little gas in the throttle opening and got it to start. It ran for about 30 to 40 seconds and then died. I could not keep it running by giving it a little gas (pressing on the accelerator).

What should I do now? If I keep giving it a little gas in the throttle opening and it runs for a short time will it start cleaning the fuel injectors?

What should I do next?

Old 09-03-08, 05:57 PM
Group Moderator
I'm surprised it would run for 30 or 40 seconds. You really need to get a fuel pressure gauge connected to see if the pump is putting out. Obviously you are getting spark if it manages to run at all, so I'm going to assume it is going to be pump, filter, gummed up injectors or some other fuel delivery malady. Certainly wouldn't hurt to change the fuel filter if you haven't already. What level was the fuel in the tank for those two years, full/half/quarter? Ultimately it may end up up needing garage work. Among other things they could hook up their fuel injection system cleaning machine and REALLY clean the injectors.

Old 09-04-08, 04:22 AM
I put about 10 gallons of high octane in it. It only had a couple gallons in it all that time.

Old 09-04-08, 04:28 AM
Group Moderator
Okay. Would have been best to drain all the old stuff, but you may have diluted it enough. Wouldn't hurt to add a bottle of fuel system drier (water remover) such as "Heet".