87 Town Car just cuts off while driving

Old 08-30-08, 07:04 PM
87 Town Car just cuts off while driving

I've had this problem for a long time. My 87 Town Car, 302 F.I., 382,000 mi. will just stall while driving (mostly at lower speeds). It's just like someone turned the key off. Sometimes at speeds above 40, the car will "buck" monentarily but if I pump the gas fast, sometimes it will run, sometimes stall. Over time, I have replaced the fuel pump, fuel pump relay, EGR valve, TPS sensor, coil, cap, rotor, spark plugs, spark plug wires, O2 sensors, all vac hoses and ignition switch (was bad). Has K&N air filter and oil has been changed every 3,000 mi. The fuel pressure regulator was replaced a few years ago. The car still has the original fuel injectors and distributor. When the car stalls, sometimes it takes a few minutes to restart and sometimes an hour....but it will eventually start. When it happened a few days ago, I put a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail and it read fine...38lbs and held....but wouldn't start. I have also tried spraying starter fluid in the air clearner...sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't! I'm totally perplexed with this...it's been such a good car for me. Could it possibly be the TFI ignition module on the distributor?...But if starts with starting fluid sometimes and there's good fuel pressure to the fuel rail...it doesn't make any sense!

I really appreciate any help!

Last edited by avery08; 08-30-08 at 07:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-08, 07:28 PM
Could it possibly be the TFI ignition module on the distributer?.
Yes, but more likely the Pickup coil inside the distributor. They are , always will and always have been susceptible to heat. The convincing factor for me here is the "Taking up to an hour to restart". The pick up itself isnt difficult to change, but with that kind of age and mileage, its a Bear to get the distributor out of the car without hurting it.

Old 08-30-08, 07:37 PM
Do you have to remove the distributor to replace the pickup coil?..and what do you mean by "it's bear to get the distributor out without hurting it?"...do you mean hurting the distributor or the pickup coil? I removed the distributor a few years ago when I replaced the lower intake manifold gaskets.

Thanks!

Old 08-30-08, 09:05 PM
Do you have to remove the distributor to replace the pickup coil?..
Yep......

It will be much easier if youve already had it out, but the housing is very easily damaged by excessive "PRYING"

Search this Thread