Changed Plugs and Wires-Now Runs Rough

Old 08-31-08, 09:05 AM
Changed Plugs and Wires-Now Runs Rough

1998 Nissan Altima 163000 5 Speed

Cars runs smooth, but with an occasional jerk. Check engine light reported "cylinder three misfiring." After inspection, my mechanic suggested changing spark plugs and wires. i've that that before with great success, so I elected to do it myself.

I bought NGK G-power plugs at my mechanics suggestion. I replaced the plugs, gapped them to .044 (Some say the plugs come "pregapped"--NGK website says they do not come pregapped...and even says it's a popular myth).

I replaced the plugs and wires (one at a time to avoid confusion). Cranked it and it ran badly. I shut it down and pushed the dist cap ends of the wires on more firmly, and it ran better, but still very clunky. Before I changed the plugs and wires, the engine ran very smoothly.

Any ideas?

allenzachary

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-08, 09:17 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
From what you are saying, unless you are simply hoping - is that the distributor ends are where your problem lies. I'd pull the cap with the wires still in the towers to make sure the contact points down inside are correct.

Old 08-31-08, 09:23 AM
Will do. Checking now.

Report coming in a moment.

Old 08-31-08, 10:03 AM
Pulled dist cap. Inside everything looks okay. No cracks wetness, carbon tracks.

I did notice that the cap was missing a screw...I imagine that could have been part of the cause for the misfire in the first place.

Heading to parts tore to get replacement screw.

I have a Haynes manual, but it doesn't show the correct layout of where the wires belong. Where can i find it just to confirm I didn't mess up the wiring (can't see how I could have).

One other note. When I start the engine and step on the gas. there is about a one-half to one second delay before the engine begins to rev up. It was not like that before. I also smell gasoline.

Old 08-31-08, 11:01 AM
Problem solved.

Somehow I got the order wrong on the wireset and dist cap.

Rearranged: good as new.

Thanks for the assistance.

Old 08-31-08, 12:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Glad you got it. But -

I thought you said you replaced each thing one at a time.

Regarding your throttle response delay: There is this recent thread about the throttle and how some newer cars do not have a cable, but have these electrical devices that control it. If I find the thread I will post it. Here:

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=357157

Last edited by ecman51; 08-31-08 at 12:16 PM. Reason: added promised link