1994 and 1991 Dodge Caravan

Old 08-31-08, 10:42 AM
1994 and 1991 Dodge Caravan

2 easy questions here...

Can a radio from the '94 fit into the '91/could I make it fit at all?

Does a '94 windshield fit a '91?

Little bit of transplanting I have in mind.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-08, 03:03 PM
Yes the radio will fit...physically.....

Base model and premium sound had different connections, but with a bit of ingenuity, it can be made to work....

The windshields "Should" interchange....any junkyard with a Hollander reference can verify this.

Old 08-31-08, 06:16 PM
Regarding the radio, I pulled it from the '94 and dug around in the '91. The '91 currently doesn't have a radio, since it was either stolen or poorly removed before we bought the vehicle. Upon inspection, the '91 didn't have any radio clips. The wires are there but without the plug- connectors. I took the plastic plug-in connectors from the '94, but I now need those little metal tabs that go into the plastic connector that then plugs into the back of the radio. I'm guessing these are available at any auto store? Do I need a crimper too?

Also the '94 had a black and green wire connecting to a clip that attached with the ground strap, but the '91 doesn't have that. Non-issue?

Last edited by Codyy; 08-31-08 at 06:48 PM.
Old 09-01-08, 09:48 AM
Just saw on a store website I can buy the proper connectors that plug right into the harness. Is that easier (to connect to harness) then to get the clips, attach them to the wires, and put the clips into the plastic parts that actually go into the radio?

Old 09-01-08, 10:03 AM
I'm not at work at the moment and dont have access to the wiring diagrams....Being a holiday weekend and all...But I will definitely find out what black/green are for.....Do /did either of them have a CD player?

Even easier......Most junkyards "CUT" the radios out of the cars...so the harness is stuck to the back of the radio....If not..they are usually just tossed in the trash....A buck or two can easily procure you a set of connectors, and then just splice into the existing wiring , match colrs, and ....VOILA youre done.

Old 09-01-08, 12:45 PM
Codyy,
YOu might try crutchfield.com; they will likely have whatever you need (for a price).
Bob

Old 09-01-08, 03:12 PM
The '94 radio that I am giving to the radio-less '91 does not have a CD player, just cassette. I don't know what the '91 originally had since it was either stolen/removed before we got it.

I just want to clarify what I have to do. Basicaly, I need only buy the black and gray plastic connectors that attach to the radio, and splice into the corresponding colors that currently do not have no connectors (like I said I think it was stolen, so there are no connectors, just wires with no tabs or nothing)?

These connectors can be purchased easily?

For splicing is there a crimped connection or... soldering necessary, etc.?

Many thanks for the information!

Old 09-01-08, 04:48 PM
Without seeing the back of the radio where the wires have to go I couldn't say if they are available easily. You could bring the radio into a Radio Shack and see what they have to make the connections as one idea.

Old 09-01-08, 05:09 PM
I can explain and am uploading pics as I type.

There is one black connector at the back of the radio, one gray. There is a black and gray corresponding plug-in connector for those ports. I have only wires sans the plug-in in my van, and I need the plug-in so I can splice the wires to the new plug-in.

Old 09-02-08, 12:27 PM
I visited two auto stores and neither had the plug in connectors I need that go into the back of the radio that I need to splice into my wires. They have wiring harnesses for if I already had the plug in connectors (say for if I was installing an after market radio). Looks like I'm going to the wrecker for the plug in connectors. What size splices do I need?

For reference, this is what I'm looking for:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-...=p4506.c0.m245

Wish I could buy that one lol, too bad it isn't shipping to Canada.

Old 09-02-08, 02:17 PM
Update: I have the harness on order!

Just need to know what gauge splices to buy and how to do the crimping/splicing.

Old 09-02-08, 03:43 PM
Red "Butt" connectors.....and a crimping tool.....10 or 15 bucks will get you the whole kit , complete with an assortment of Splices.

Old 09-02-08, 09:05 PM
I had picked up a package of blue 3M 14-16 guage "Splice Connectors", they're like a little blue tube to crimp but I think they are too big anyhow. I will get the correct butt connectors, and wire it up when my harness arrives. I'll let you all know how it goes, many thanks!

Actually, just a quick edit here. All the butt connectors i see mention gauges. Maybe mine are correct? Is 14-16 gauge correct or...?

Old 09-03-08, 10:14 AM
If its a headache to return the blue ones, strip a bit of extra insulation from the wires and fold them over. Just crimp them in the "Doubled -Up" position.

Red is 18-20
blue is 14-16
Yellow is 10-12

Most harnesses will use either the red or blue interchangeably. There is very little current in "Speaker " wiring..and the Power and ground wires are at best 5-7 amps....10 guage is capable of carrying 25 to 30 amps safely.

Old 09-03-08, 04:52 PM
I think if memory is right that those wires you are dealing with a 18 gauge or smaller (that would be a higher number, not lower, maybe 20 or 24 gauge). I would solder them so I know the connections are solid but that is me; crimp connectors should work, I've just never trusted them and I hate having to do jobs twice so I solder. Good luck with it.
Bob

Last edited by bob22; 09-03-08 at 05:18 PM.
Old 09-03-08, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator
I'm with Bob, solder and heat shrink.