Starts right up & Immediately dies.

Old 09-08-08, 05:52 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Starts right up & Immediately dies.

I have a 1997 Town & Country LXI that has had this to happen a couple of times, I was told to take the battery cables off, and to hold them together about five min., to clean the battery post real good replace the cables, wait about ten min and try starting and it worked just fine, (No problems) after about 3-4 weeks it did the same thing again, I then let it along for about 12 hours and it started right up, now no problem. Could someone HELP Me with this, I can't trust it now.

Old 09-08-08, 06:39 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
These sporadic problems like this can be hard for anyone to find as things wil test out with testing equipment if it is working at the time. You don't now if it is fuel or electrical, either.

Yes, it is scary if you plan on trips or whatever and have no idea if it will strike again. Likely always to happen when out in tinbucktoo somewhere at 3 in the morning.

You can have someone try to bring up codes. I guerss they do it for free at places like AutoZone and Advance Auto to name a couple places.

And often 'service bulletins' will list a problem like this if the same malady has struck many cars of that type and year. You could look into that by even contacting maybe the service manager of a dealership and hope the person is friendly and may tell you.

Old 09-08-08, 10:58 AM
Group Moderator
Received 249 Upvotes on 201 Posts
When it's doing it, will it happen continually, i.e. startup-die, startup-die, startup-die? I'm thinking you could have an ignition switch issue.

Old 09-08-08, 02:39 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'm thinking you could have an ignition switch issue.
Possibility.....But Chrysler products had trouble with what we call a SKIM or SKREEM module.

Do you have a GRAY colored ignition key? Did you recently have duplicate keys made for the vehicle? are they also Gray in color?

Is there any form of magnet on your key ring? (Not likely , But it has happened)

It Sounds as if your PCM is not getting a "VALID " key signal.....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: