98 ford taurus tranny

Old 09-09-08, 06:59 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
98 ford taurus tranny

My husband has a ford taurus, that only after it gets hot, doesn't want to go into first gear. After it finally goes into gear it shifts fine into the other gears. He keeps saying tranny going out, someone said possibly something about bands? I told him to take it to a tranny shop and see what they say. Any suggestions as to what it may be? Thanks in advance, Sherry

Old 09-10-08, 04:59 AM
Ford had many issues with their transmission of that year vintage.
That being said,i would check the fluid level. Maybe a drain/flush would be something to do next.

Old 09-10-08, 06:02 AM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
You didn't say how many miles were on it, Sherry, but I can echo Swede's sentiments. We've towed dozens and dozens of them to tranny shops, especially the early-mid 90's, some with as little as 40,000 miles on them. The premature failures were, if I remember right, a planetary gear issue; higher mileage vehicles I don't know what goes.

Isn't your hubby always right?

Old 09-10-08, 06:13 AM
F
Im guessing that when cold and it is put into gear that the transmission will not catch and the engine will just rev up each time that the gas is stepped on.
And that after a while it will start to grab and then act normal untill it is shut down for any length of time.

Is this correct

Old 09-10-08, 08:01 PM
S
frankie it runs fine when its cold, its after it gets warm that the problem starts.

Old 09-11-08, 08:41 AM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
That's a pretty common symptom for a tranny failing internally. Going back to swede's advice, wouldn't hurt to do a filter and fluid change.

Old 09-11-08, 09:20 AM
G
have you gone to autozone and have them to check for codes? Also next time it happens and if it is safe have him try to put it into reverse and see if it goes, if it does not then he probably has a front clutch seal that is faulty,and quite expensive to repair. So if you can have him try it in reverse before having a fluid and filter change.
good luck

Old 09-11-08, 11:21 AM
S
Thanks all, i will tell him he has to go into town today and ill have him stop by autozone and get code checked and get rest of stuff he needs to change fluid. Oh BTW the car has like 130,000 miles on it. Ill post code when we get it.

Old 09-11-08, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I'm pretty sure the Autozone folks can only pull engine codes. Unless you have a check engine light, probably won't show anything.

Could be wrong....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: