Help getting blower motor working again...

Old 09-10-08, 08:37 AM
Q
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Help getting blower motor working again...

A while back I replaced the blower motor on a 1998 Olds 88LS because the old one was noisy and didn't blow much. Then the new motor would not blow at speeds 1-2-3, only speed 4, so I replaced the resistor. I thought the resistor was defective, so I got a replacement and replaced the resistor again. Same results. Then the fourth speed would only blow some times when it felt like it! Then it stopped working altogether.

So I have looked over the wires, fuses and relays and they all look OK visually (no burn marks that I can see, and no loose wires anywhere), but don't know how to check this system for continuity (I have a multimeter). So I think the problem is now the control switch.

Can anyone tell me how to check for continuity (in detail) or how to remove the control panel so I can try replacing the switch? Do the knobs pull off? How is the cover plate removed, etc.?

Thanks,

QC

Old 09-10-08, 03:32 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
me thinks you thinks correctly. sounds like control unit. should be easy to pull out though. get one from jankyard, they are like 30 bucks, and replace.
you can check power supply at blower connector. either way, go to library and get electric diagram from chilton, any library has those.

Old 09-10-08, 05:23 PM
Q
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Hmmmm.... I was thinking I'd just need to replace the switch itself rather than the whole control assembly. The switch is made by Standard Motor Products as an aftermarket item and costs $14.50 new from Rock Auto (part HS218). That's why I'd like to know how the panel comes apart without destroying it, lol.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: