Honda Accord Rear Brake lights out but 3rd Rear brake light in the rear window

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-08, 10:51 AM
Lightbulb Honda Accord Rear Brake lights out but 3rd Rear brake light in the rear window

I have a 2005 Honda Accord Coupe.
Rear brake lights are out when I press brake, however the 3rd brake light in the rear window lights up.

- The bulbs are fine, they light up from the battery.

- I checked manuals and did not find any info on fuses for brake lights.

- It's strange that 3rd light is functioning separately from the others. It seems that the other two lights are just disconnected.

Could you help with ideas how to fix it or electrical schematic.
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-08, 11:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would start with a test light or meter at the brake light switch.
The switch is probably mounted above the brake pedal, under the dash. It may have two sets of contacts, one for the high mount and one for the brake lights.

Old 09-12-08, 01:10 PM
Lightbulb

The switch has four wires: red, dark-green, brown-black and white-black (stripes).

Closing Red x white-black lights on 3rd rear brake bulb.

Crossing Voltage Amps
Red x white-black 12V 1.75A
Red x dark-green 12V 0.34A
Red x brown-black 11V 0.005A

At least we checked that switch is fine as manual crossing did not help.

I think I need to find schematic somewhere to figure out what connects to what.

Thanks

Old 09-12-08, 03:17 PM
the black-white wires are for the brake lights both regular & highmount,there is a splice that goes to the high mount before the wires go in the trunk.On the c-pillar there is a connector that goes to the rear lights,check the voltage beween the black-white wires and ground with the brake pedal applied,if you have 12volts check the wires in the trunk and see if you have 12 volts to the light sockets. I hope this helps I cannot copy and paste the diagram that is available to me.
the c-pillar is behind the back seat and the connector is on the shock tower on the left hand side

Old 09-12-08, 03:20 PM
the wire colors are white-black instead of black-white.
sorry

Old 09-12-08, 06:24 PM
Thanks gregtech. I will try to find that connector.

Old 09-16-08, 04:51 PM
Lightbulb

I can see the splice in the left corner of the trunk. Some wires go to the middle brake light, all others go to the rear.

1) I could not find a connector anywhere along the wires in the trunk unless you talked about connectors that are attached to the bulbs. So it's impossible to measure voltage on them.

2) I connected white-black wire from "middle brake light's" to the rear bulbs and they light up. I want to use this workaround temporary until I find the problem.

3) But after connecting all three brake bulbs I have an interesting effect: front parking lights turn on when I press brake pedal. Also if parking lights are turn on they become brighter when I press brake pedal.

I am looking at schematic and layout on the internet.

Thank you.

Old 09-20-08, 07:17 AM
Is there relay or fuse that rear brake lights depend on?

Old 09-20-08, 08:57 AM
Thanks gregtech!
I checked everything, but relied on my visual test of brake bulbs. Tested then with battery. They are burned out.

Old 09-20-08, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator
Always check the simple stuff first, right?

Table lamp doesn't light, don't go to the breaker panel (check the bulb and lamp in a different outlet).

Low airflow from home A/C, don't suspect a motor running at reduced speed (check for clogged filters, cause they haven't been changed in 8 months).

No rotation from your SPS-10C Surface Search Radar antenna, don't suspect a bad drive motor, (check the cutoff switch cause someone went up the mast and didn't turn it back on).

Not raggin on ya Eklmn...I've done the same thing you did. Lol

Old 07-18-14, 11:40 AM
Solution to Brake-light bulb out condition (while third lid light bulb good)

For the 2008 Honda Accord, the brake light bulb fuse is the #10 fuse (Horn, Stop) in the under drivers side fuse box.

To test the brake light fuse, beep the horn. If it beeps, the fuse is good, since the horn is on the same circuit as the brake lights.

Old 07-18-14, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator
Welcome to the forum and thanks for the reply, but 6 years later, the OP may even have a new car or at least, I'm sure they have fixed it by now!

Closed Thread