Starting a Car by Jabbing a Key

Old 09-25-08, 08:00 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Starting a Car by Jabbing a Key

Hi:
For the past week, I need to start 1999 Toyota Collora with very low-mileage by 'jabbing' a key. Once starting a car, there is NO issue whatever.

This, starting a car by jabbing a key HARD is not all the time, ... just once awhile, probably one out of three times.

My question is, .... should I bring a car to have an auto-tech/mechanic look at whether this issue is ONLY a lock-replacement or else?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Old 09-25-08, 09:05 AM
M
Received 34 Upvotes on 33 Posts
It probably needs the cylinder replaced. But yes, I would get it fixed. It will only get worse and possibly leave you stranded.

Old 09-25-08, 09:39 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by marbobj
It probably needs the cylinder replaced. But yes, I would get it fixed. It will only get worse and possibly leave you stranded.
Thanks for the response.

Is this, Cylinder replacement NOT 'lock replacement?' Because, about 7 - 10 years ago, Camry '86 which I donoated to the local Charity, had the exact issue, ... needed to jab a key in order to start and after 'lock replaced,' the Car started right away by only one click/turn.

Just wonder whether 'Cylinder replacement' is more serious issue than 'lock replacement's?'

Old 09-25-08, 09:43 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
The terms lock and cylinder are interchangeable in this case.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: