92 lumina runs 10 minutes

Old 09-25-08, 03:34 PM
92 lumina runs 10 minutes

I have this with a 3.1 motor in it and it drives and runs great for about 10 minutes. Then it dies when you come to a stop. It will start back up right away but soon as you put it in drive it dies. I can get it to move a little if I put it in nuetral give some gas once it starts to move it will drive but it sounds like it is not running right and not as much power.But will die soon as you come to a stop. After it sits and cools down it will start and run again till it gets warmed up. I was told a few things like it could be the egr valve ,it's the electronic one for about $180.00 anyway to test or clean this part? Also was told it could be the cta clogged It's not glowing so I ruled that out.Also told it might be the crank sencer? can this be tested?Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-08, 03:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Have you changed the fuel filter?

It could be a torque converter issue too, but lets start with the basics.

Old 09-25-08, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by HotinOKC View Post
Have you changed the fuel filter?

It could be a torque converter issue too, but lets start with the basics.
it don't have overdrive does this matter? No I did not change the fuel filter but I did get one and could not get the old one off .I was afraid I was going to twist the fuel line.But I did hook up a pressure guage to it while I drove it and watched the pressure go up from 50 to 60 psi when it started acting up.

Old 09-25-08, 04:09 PM
Are the rpm's lower also while it is idling in park, and does it also run rougher than it used to, doing that?

Old 09-25-08, 04:18 PM
rpms are normal and it only runs rough when it acts up when driving after warm approx 10 min.

Old 09-25-08, 06:13 PM
So the bottom line is that it runs poorly, period, even when driving (not just at stop signs), after the car has warmed up about 10 minutes? If so, many problems can cause car to die, depending on how poor it runs, because then when you stop the rpms are lower, with the foot on the brake, in drive, and if it was running bad, the bad running can upset the balance of the flow of how gases flow through the manifold, how much engine vacuum there is, perhaps the spark becomes weaker - all sorts of things, if it is not running smoothly before you come to a stop.

Old 09-25-08, 07:10 PM
it does sound like a fuel delivery issue, i would replace the fuel filter, you will need a flare nut wrench to do it. if i remember correctly for gm 16mm and 18mm, then if the problem is still there, run a pump test by disconnecting the fuel line and placing a container under it turn the key on and see how much fuel it will deliver in the 10 to 15 seconds before the pump cuts out. it should be at least 1/2 gallon i think but you should check a manuel to be sure. then hook in a fuel pressure guage and run it to see what the pressure does while running. try this and post back to us

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies.

Old 09-25-08, 07:31 PM
there are a infinite number of things that could cause your engine to stall. But if it runs good cold look for what changes when it warms up. Egr sticking. when your engine warms up and activates the egr it may be sticking causing a stall on decel. coolant temp sensor false readings. On this engine and year I have had also had this problem caused by dirty throttle bodys and intakes and bad pcms(computers). Also when ur motor is cold it is in open loop. Oxygen sensors are only looked at when your engine warms up and in closed loop. u could have a bad o2 sensor cause inproper fuel delivery

Old 10-17-08, 03:18 AM
worked on it a bit

New fuel filter,new crank senser and unpluged egr valve still same problem.When problem starts happening motor runs rough at 30mpr or less when I step on it it runs pretty much normal.By unpluging the egr valve was that a test or not?Also can this egr valve be cleaned being that it is electronic? The fuel pressure is 50 then goes up to 60 when it starts acting up.

Old 10-17-08, 04:49 AM
Group Moderator
Just curious, but have you checked to see if any codes are stored. Very easy to check on an OBD-I GM:

http://www.troublecodes.net/GM/

Old 10-17-08, 09:04 AM
air delivery

I know everyone is looking at a fuel delivery problem, but don't forget about the air delivery. Check your throttle body sensor. This could cause your airflow to be incorrect. (like staying in choke after the engine warms up).

Old 10-18-08, 09:30 PM
How do you check codes

How and where do you check the codes?Do you need special tools. Nobody told me if unplugging the egr valve is a test for my problem? Also check engine light does not come on if that means anything. Thanks

Search this Thread