1989 mazda 323 running troubles

Old 09-18-08, 06:51 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
1989 mazda 323 running troubles

i got this mazda it would start and idle fine. you take it down the road about a mile and it would die. it would not want to start back unless you let is sit for a bit. then it would start back run for about the same then die again. dont this like six times andnow it will not start at all. i checked to make sure it was getting fuel and not a clogged filter it was fine. was also getting spark. it is fuel injected that is where i get lost on what it may be. any suggestions would be very helpful thank you

Old 09-18-08, 07:00 AM
C
ohh ya for i forget up till this time the car ran fine. i used it everyday.

Old 09-18-08, 02:18 PM
check carefully on the intake from the air filter and make sure there are no air leaks some times air leaks past the mass air flow sensor and causes a lean condition, did you check the fuel pressure with a guage, did you measure the fuel flow or just see that some came out? is it getting spark when it is supposed to, ie: is the engine in time,

if we're not supposed to eat animals why are they made out of meat?

Old 09-18-08, 06:56 PM
Post shadetreeall

like speedwrench said fuel pressurs is very important on This type of fuel system check specs. it must been range. and it sounds like its not to me

Old 09-19-08, 06:01 AM
C
thank youboth i will check out both of those things and see if it helps

Old 09-26-08, 07:01 AM
C
i went out anf got me a preasure guage and it wasnt where it was susposed to be. so i took out the fuel pump. well took it outo f the tank but left it hooked up. i turned on the key and the pump did nothing. i thought that they run all the time when the car was on. so i took the pump off and tested it directly to the battery and it ran. so now i am thinking that maybe there is some kinda fuse or relay to them? if so i cant for the life of me find it. i looked under the dash at that fuse panel. and i looked under the hood at that fuse box. all the ones marked do not say anything about a fuel pump. is there any other place to look for one?:repostit:

Old 09-26-08, 04:11 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I'm not going to advise you on specific testing procedures, as it is up to you to have the nerve and care to deal with any work around the gas tank.

But shouldn't your next step (should have been your first step) need to be in finding out if you have power or not down there to the fuel pump?

For all you know, you might have it there, and have a sporadic fuel pump that works one minute and not the next. My very own died that way. It died, but then started up minutes later, ran fine for a while, then died further down the road. Luckily it once again restarted and I was able to drive it to the service garage, where they changed out the fuel pump.

But who knows - I myself was learnig about electric fuel pumps at the time. And for all *I* knew, the wires to it were just corroded/loose and I maybe never needed a new fuel pump. I was in the garage with the mechanics and never recall them fiddling with the wires, really. I had to take their word for it I needed one as they told me what running pressure was and what static pressure was, and the numbers were not THAT much less from what the specs called for. But who knows.

Old 09-26-08, 04:37 PM
G
sinse you have the pump off look in the tank to see if there is any rust or any other gook in there,it may be that the pump is sucking this up and clogging the pump sock,I cannot find a schematic of the fuse panels for the relays.but you may have a relay going bad.did you change the fuel filter or just check it?

Old 09-26-08, 06:06 PM
most electric fuel pumps only run when the engine has oil pressure, or the computer senses engine run impulses from a distributor or crank sensor they come on for about 10 seconds to prime the system when you first turn you key on and if you don't start right away they shut off. there will be a fuel pump relay that is set to provide power when grounded by either the oil pressure switch or the engine computer. should be fused.

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies

Old 09-26-08, 08:33 PM
C
thank you guys for your info it is very helpful. the gas tank from whati can see inside looks very clean and the fuel pump sock did not look broken or clogged so i will check out the other options you guys mentioned i did not change the fuel filter only checked it by taking it off and blowing thru it. it did not feel to be clogged
and again thank you

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: