Accord 2000 5spd revvs up and down in idle

Old 10-04-08, 09:44 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Accord 2000 5spd revvs up and down in idle

Hi!

[EDIT: model year]

Honda Accord 2000 4door LX 5spd revvs up to 2000+ and down to normal idle ~700 continuously when in idle. When driving, everything is normal. Just now the check engine light went on.

The car was kept in the open parking lot unused for 5 months (May-Sept) in western Chicago suburbs. It was operating very well when I left it.

When I picked the car up today, several things were amiss. The battery was mostly discharged: it still cranked the engine but not fast enough to start. Jump start helped. I gave it a few minutes to charge. That is when it heated up to normal temperature, and this revving up and down started.

Another thing was rear wheels stuck because of the hand break. I guess that I should have left it off. When I started to back off, the left rear wheel unstuck with a crack. The right rear wheel remained stuck and dragged for 5 yards or so on the gravel road. I lifted it up, removed the wheel and knocked on the drum a few times with a crowbar. After that, the wheel began moving as usual (the breaking is now a bit uneven, I will have to check that).

The main problem remains this engine revving up and down when in idle. And now, the engine check light (I haven't yet checked if it comes back every time).

Is there any guess of the cause of the problem, and how to go about it?

Thanks in advance, you guys help a lot every time!

Last edited by Croco; 10-04-08 at 10:24 AM.
Old 10-04-08, 10:04 AM
Originally Posted by Croco
Hi!

Honda Accord 2008 4door LX 5spd revvs up to 2000+ and down to normal idle ~700 continuously when in idle. When driving, everything is normal. Just now the check engine light went on.

The car was kept in the open parking lot unused for 5 months (May-Sept) in western Chicago suburbs. It was operating very well when I left it.

When I picked the car up today, several things were amiss. The battery was mostly discharged: it still cranked the engine but not fast enough to start. Jump start helped. I gave it a few minutes to charge. That is when it heated up to normal temperature, and this revving up and down started.

Another thing was rear wheels stuck because of the hand break. I guess that I should have left it off. When I started to back off, the left rear wheel unstuck with a crack. The right rear wheel remained stuck and dragged for 5 yards or so on the gravel road. I lifted it up, removed the wheel and knocked on the drum a few times with a crowbar. After that, the wheel began moving as usual (the breaking is now a bit uneven, I will have to check that).

The main problem remains this engine revving up and down when in idle. And now, the engine check light (I haven't yet checked if it comes back every time).

Is there any guess of the cause of the problem, and how to go about it?

Thanks in advance, you guys help a lot every time!
check the idle air controle motor, you might be able to clean it off with carb cleaner, but after sitting that long could also be varnish in the injector nozzles, for that try some BG 44K in the tank.
take it by a parts house most will read codes for free, post back here on the codes.

Old 10-04-08, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
It's a 2008? That was stored for 5 months? Still under warranty I would think? The brakes might be on you....but any engine issues should be their problem unless its a mice or squirrel problem.

Old 10-04-08, 10:25 AM
C
Sorry, not 2008. It's 2000.

Old 10-04-08, 10:38 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I fixed the title or you.

Old 10-06-08, 08:38 AM
C
Hi!

after the second start up, the engine righted itself, the idle is now fine, and all is back to what it was before. The check engine light is still on of course. The code reading is P0505. It means incorrect idle speed. It seems to imply a faulty idle speed motor, or dirty throttle body, or a faulty valve.

Since all the symptoms went away very quickly, I would guess that there was some build up in the throttle body due to being unused for 5 months, and it was cleared away on its own. Does that sound plausible?

It seems that I need to get the check engine light reset, and wait and see. Does this sound reasonable? If so, how do I reset the light?

Should I do somethiong else?

Thanks!

Old 10-06-08, 04:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Get the code reset if it doesn't go out on it's own, fill up with some fresh gas and go from there. There was prolly moisture build up in the fuel and you just had to burn it off.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: