rear brakes dragging

Old 09-20-08, 01:23 PM
Y
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
rear brakes dragging

My back brake shoes are dragging, I just had installed new brake shoes but I can still hear the brakes dragging, what could be the problem?

Old 09-20-08, 04:24 PM
M
Received 34 Upvotes on 33 Posts
Using as a starting point everything got put together correctly - don't worry about it as long as they are working properly and not heating up.

You can probably eliminate the drag quickly by driving at a slow speed with a light pressure on the brake. Only do this for a short distance at a time for three or four times. It'll take the edge off the brakes and any corrosion in the drums that may be causing a problem.

Usually something like that shows up when the drums haven't been turned prior to installing new shoes.

Old 09-20-08, 05:35 PM
Y
Re: rear brakes draggings

They are also heating up, when I touch the wheels it is getting pretty hot. do you have any other explanation for this?

Thanks much,
Yves

Old 09-20-08, 05:58 PM
M
Did you install the brakes? If so, was the adjustor adjusted back to a starting point (all the way together)? If not, that would be a good choice for the problem.

PS = don't drive it like that - get it fixed.

Old 09-20-08, 06:22 PM
have you checked your parking brake to make sure it is not on?

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies

Old 09-20-08, 07:16 PM
Y
The brakes were installed by a license garage, after the old brakes were replaced with new ones thinking that it would solve the problem, they did check brake cable and adjusted the new brakes properly, I will take it back to them to re-check it. I just thought maybe someone could shed some light on this problem.

Old 09-20-08, 07:22 PM
M
You mean the dragging brakes were a problem before the new shoes were installed and the brake job was to correct this?

This being the case, the wheel cylinders could be corroded and hanging on the inside or the ABS (if so equipped) could have a malfunctioning valve, or the residual check valve in the master cylinder could be over active = too much pressure being held against the wheel cylinders.

What vehicle are we working on here?

Old 09-20-08, 07:41 PM
Y
The vehicle is a 1971 Dodge Charger which was restored last year.

Old 09-20-08, 07:51 PM
with that old of a vehicle i also would make sure of the flex brake line to the rear, if it is original the inside could be colasped and not alowing the fluid to return to the master cylinder properly that could cause the brake draging, with the vehicle raised up on jack stands have some one apply the brakes and as soon as the pedal is released check for drag, then bleed one wheel cylinder and see if the drag goes away if so the system needs to be checked to find out where the fluid is being restricted. if not it can only be either mistakes on the assembly, or adjustment of the adjustment mechanism, or e-brake cable.

are you going to cowboy up or just lay there and bleed?

Old 09-21-08, 10:11 AM
Y
Ok, I will follow your advise.

Thanks much, Yves

Old 09-23-08, 05:07 PM
Y
Say, could it also be a master cylinder problem? Also I have disc brakes in the front, does it need two different master cylinders one for the brake shoes (drums) and one for the disc brakes, I'm currious about this. since this car was probably all drum brakes when it was new.

Yves

Old 09-23-08, 07:29 PM
yes it could be a master cylinder problem, you don't need two different master cylinders, just checked my 71 motor trend mags and the 71 road runners had factory disc brakes so more than likely your charger had factory disc's also, I know for a fact that all Chrysler products had factory disc's by 72.(cars) did you try the bleeding trick to see if the drag went away or not.

if we're not supposed to eat animals why are they made out of meat?

Old 09-28-08, 09:06 AM
Y
I have tried to bleed the line at the back of the brake cylinder with a bleed kit but there is no fluid coming out, so I could not bleed it, I have just detached the brake line that goes into the back cylinder brakes and there is no fluid coming out there either, so it looks like there may be a blockage somewhere, as for the front disc brakes they work fine. Do you think that the back flex hose at the back could be the problem? what do you recommend?

Old 09-28-08, 03:39 PM
would not be supprised. pull the line at it and see if fluid comes out there, if not you will need to trace to the front for the problem, another possibility would be the porportioning valve.

Old 09-28-08, 06:02 PM
Y
ok, thanks much, I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks Yves

Old 10-05-08, 05:53 PM
Y
brakes dragging

Hey!

My problem is cured, it was the flex hose that was the problem.

Thanks much everyone.

Yves

Old 10-05-08, 06:49 PM
i was afraid of that, on that old of a vehicle. that can be common. the inner layer collasped and there you go.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: