89' chevrolet Z-24 Cavalier won't then will turnover

Old 10-08-08, 03:37 PM
89' chevrolet Z-24 Cavalier won't then will turnover

hi,
My 89' Chevy cavalier is hard to start.What it is doing is at first it just clicks like a dead battery,then it progressivly gets better and better.After about the 5-7 try it acts normal and starts right up.
I know for a fact that the battery is good and the connections and cables are good.
What would cuase it to seem like a dead battery?

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRIECIATED

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-08, 05:29 PM
Starter solenoid? or the starter itself?

Old 10-08-08, 06:45 PM
1989 Cavalier Z-24

recountryman,
Thanks for the reply,I will check it out.I guess I need to remove starter solenoid assembly take them apart clean them up make sure brushes are good in starter then put them back together and bench test and go from there .

Thanks Again
Starduster

*************Keep The Wind At Your Tail*************

Old 10-08-08, 06:52 PM
how do you know that the battery, cables, and connections are good?

the only possibilites are battery, cables, connectons, starter solinoid, starter, for that discription. have you had the battery tested or replaced?, when you inspected the cables did you clean between the bolt and the cable itself this area is often overlooked when cleaning battery connections on side terminal batterys. do you have aluminium cables, these are prone to corresion internally and failure.
starter solinoids can fail so that they have to be engized several times to make good connection in order to start the vehicle. starters can have a poor connections internally so that you need to attempt several times in order to move the armature enough to get it to work properly. very rare. that you can get the starter to work enough to crank if it has a winding going bad like that.

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies

Old 10-09-08, 05:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Maybe engine is shutting off at a tight spot at flywheel.

Or maybe you have fluid of some sort in a cylinder. Since it is an 89......................

There are various things you can do to check these things out.

Does this happen all the time? And no matter how you shut off the key? (Believe it or not, an engine often shuts off/stops in the same place, and you can alter that by turning off the key in an off- rythm quick mannor) Does it do it equally the same as when you start it cold in the morning or if you restart it after the engine was warm?

Old 10-18-08, 08:31 AM
89 Z-24 sounds like dead battery but its not

it only does this on a cold start.after it fires up it starts just fine untill it cools down then the same thing.

Old 10-18-08, 11:21 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Weak connection then, that opens up more when cold.

Since it clicks I would not suspect the ignition switch, I do no think.

Does your clicking come from under the hood, say at a relay on the fender well? If you have that, I would disconnect the incoming 12 volt cable from the battery, at that relay, and touch it to the OTHER big cable connection, on the starter side of the relay, to see if the starter spins. If you do such a test, be prepared for sparks, so you do not jump out of your skin. Sparking always occurs at first, in electricity, when a circuit is closed, and you complete a connection to the already closed highpower drawing resistor.

IF the starter then starts, then suspect that relay right there, is bad.

But if that test fails to turn over the starter, then I'd suspect the solenoid/starter. One way or the other, both would have to be removed as a unit, and each could independently be bench tested to see which is the actual culprit- or just buy a reman that includes both.

If you do not have a fender mounted relay, and relay switching action is done ontop the solenoid, and THAT is where you hear the click coming from, then you pretty much know your problem, once again, is down at the starter/solenoid.

Old 10-18-08, 05:20 PM
Since this happens on a cold start and not when its warmed up Start at step one that the charging system is putting out to the battery and that the battery is holding the charge.

Check cables to make sure they are good, clean and tight on the connectors and if they were replaced that they are of the correct gauge. Check/listen relay to see if it pulls in when this happens or "jump" it out as what was mentioned above just be careful if it doesn't cost much could just bite the bullit and replace it and see.
If those all checks good I'd get the starter checked.

Search this Thread