2009 Toyota Corolla Oil Filter Location

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-09, 02:03 PM
1.8 Toyota oil filter

Now I am beginning to understand the frustration of those with this Toyota internal filter cap design. I am doing the second oil change in a 2010 Pontiac Vibe with the 1.8 Toyota engine. I tried the 65mm 14 flute oil filter wrench which did not work. I then obtained the same yello strap wrench in the pictures here. I broke the handle on the small one trying to get the cap off. I then used the larger one and it will not turn the cap without slipping no matter how much pressure you use. I even went so far as to heat up the motor so the aluminum housing could expand more than the plastic cap but that did not help either. It is possible the quck oil change place that did the first change put too much meat on it when they tightened the cap. It is clear that this was designed only to be able to take it off with the Toyota tool. My suggestion is that if you want to change your own oil you might as well bite the bullet and buy the tool.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-09, 01:50 PM
09 Toyota oil changing

Great job with photos. Thanks.

Originally Posted by ToyMaint View Post
First, I never write to blogs, so this is my first.
Second, if you have routinely changed your own oil, then you can do this with the right tool or even a good one and it will take you about the same amount of time as the conventional type.

Here's direction/steps and pictures!
1) The oil filter is location here:

2) You can buy Toyota's tool from any Toyota service department, it will cost you $65 plus shipping, because they won't have it in stock. However, you can easily get by with a rubber *wrap around* belt type tool for about $10. See this picture:

Toyota will print you out instructions on how to perform the operation to have as a reference. But of course this will be for their tool, so if do decide to spend the money, you will know what torque it should be when tightened.

3) With the $10 belt tool you should easily be able to loosen the filter casing without damaging it. Once you have it taken it off, you can take out the old paper filter and put in the new filter. You will also need to replace the round rubber seal ring that goes with every new filter.

4) Now I know that there is proper torking tool for screwing the filter back on. I personally felt comfortable that I placed it back with the same tightness as what it took to take off. You might want to take pictures yourself so you can compare the before and after positioning, because there are slotted notches that did come back to the same alignment as when I started. Keep in mind, that this wrap around belt tool is the only one that I've found has the ability to grip the oil cartridge tightly enough to do the job without doing damage.
====
Toyota will tell you that they did this for the environment, which they did and this is a good thing. However, Toyota also took this as an opportunity to increase their service department revenue. IF Toyota really cared about their customers they could have handle this in a totally different way by simply respecting their customers intelligence. How? At the time you buy the car, they ask you questions about extended maintenance. During this time, they could also ask if you generally perform your own oil changes. If the answer is yes... then give the customer the proper tool to do it and give them a simple set of instructions/pictures on how. what would this cost??? I'm sure that customers would likely be willing to pay as much as $15 for a proper tool, because you know the $65 is completely outrageously marked up.

But no, they won't do this because they would rather piss a lot of their customers off, which they have obviously done. But I guess statiscally it was acceptable to them not to take a positive proactive measure.

Old 12-03-09, 01:54 PM
oil change tool

Now that's some advice I can really use. Thanks for sharing.
I've been using Walmart for years to change oil, but after calling 3 different stores, I found none of them could change my oil filter in my 09 Corolla because they didn't have the right tool. Can you imagine? The biggest retailer in the world, and the country's biggest selling car, and they can't change the oil!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by rednecksputter View Post
to be honest there no need for it. just get an old sepentine belt and wrap it around if you cant get it with alittle elbow grease

Old 12-12-09, 10:17 AM
oil filter caution

I wasn't as lucky as jp213. Last Sunday, while driving home from church, the oil light went on on my wife's 09 Corolla. We pulled over as soon as it was safe, and I shut off the car. It was starting to get dark and when I checked the dipstick, there seemed to be some oil on it. I tried to restart the car, but the motor wouldn't turn over. We walked home and the next morning I had AAA tow the car to the dealership. They called me after a few hours and said that the oil filter o-ring had "rolled", and all the oil must have leaked out and we had seized the engine.

I had changed the oil and filter about a month before (for the second time) and no oil had leaked from the filter on the first startup after the change. Also, there was no oil on the garage floor under the car in the following weeks.

Of course Toyota will not assume any responsibility since I did the oil change myself, and I'm facing a repair bill of several thousand dollars. I have been changing my oil for almost 45 years and have never had a problem like this before. I suspect a faulty o-ring like jp123 had, but the dealership disagrees and I have no way to prove otherwise.

I would caution others about changing their own oil on these cars. Even if you are careful, the oil may leak out weeks or months after you do the change, which can be both very expensive and also a major safety hazard, depending on where it happens. You will have a tough time getting Toyota to agree that you did the oil change correctly and that the parts are at fault.

If anyone else gas had an experience like jp213 or myself, please post it on this forum. If enough of us can document this, perhaps we can get Toyota to look into this further.

Old 12-14-09, 10:32 AM
self destruct

How about the maintenance book which calls for "retorque the drive shaft bolt:, when there is none."
I too was a Toyota guy for years but no more.
They, like Dell, have imploded.
Time to move on.

Old 02-02-10, 09:55 AM
ms joeaccnt

Originally Posted by Great_ticket View Post
It was a lot more work than I wanted to do because I had to purchase a wrench (not sure channel locks would work). I was able to remove the clip and cap and filter and O ring and replace with new filter and O ring. The work to do this was much more than I think it should be. I didn't torque to the 25N specified on the cap because I have no device to do so and don't know where to get such a tool. Toyota would do everybody a favor by putting a 14mm nut head on the cartridge cap (I also agree with a previous comment about making the thing metal). I spent several hours on this project but learned a lot and expect the next oil change to take about 20 minutes. I picked up my wrench at Home Depot for about $14--it isn't the right tool but it works. It can slightly damage the surface of the plastic cap.

I was very frustrated with Toyota's user manual and the whole process of changing my oil and filter, I've taken nice pictures of the parts, process and tools and would be happy to share by email or post these if anybody wants them. Not sure how to post images if possible in this forum.

I jacked up the car and removed the retention clip before trying to remove the cartridge cap which unthreads with quite a bit of resistance because of the internal O ring.
i would like to see your information so i could change my oil

Old 02-02-10, 01:08 PM
photos

I think the guys were using Photobucket to display photos.

Old 03-15-10, 11:13 AM
Hi, in response to 9t8vett and jp213's post, I just had the same problem happen to me with my 10 Corolla. Its a problem toyota needs to deal with. I'm screwed finincially probably now, it just happened last week. Any advice or tips, really confused?

Old 03-15-10, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by ChefdeVT View Post
Hi, in response to 9t8vett and jp213's post, I just had the same problem happen to me with my 10 Corolla. Its a problem toyota needs to deal with. I'm screwed finincially probably now, it just happened last week. Any advice or tips, really confused?
>>This number will start you off = 80033114331.
It is Toyota USA. I had their email address you can probably Google as I did.
Anyway, they were very polite and explained the axle issue you see mixed in this thread. They told me it was a misprint. Can you imagine all the people still paying for a service that does not even exist.
Give them a call after you assemble your thoughts as to what you want from them.
Good luck and let us kow how you do.
I was with Toyota for years but I am going elswhee for sure.

Old 03-28-10, 03:59 PM
oil filter leak

I had changed the oil on my 2009 corolla three times at 3000 mile intervals with not a problem. The fourth time was not as fortunate. At 3500 miles while my son was driving it the filter started leaking out oil. He managed to shut off the engine in time because he smelled the oil. I had it towed in by Toyota because I did not know what had happened. They pointed out that the oring was in the wrong spot. Because my son was driving it and not I the oil was not changed at my normal 3000mile interval. My question is "was the oring really where the mechanic said it was or not?" He took a picture of it but that could be BS also. No damage was done to my engine. The last two oil changes have been done at Toyota. I am questioning whether I want to go with a manufacturer who designs something that can fail so easily when previously it was designed better. The Toyota shop said other quick lube type places have experienced the same problem with the oring not being in place and people loosing engines. I have never had an oil change failure in my 40 plus years of changing oil on various engines diesel, gas or propane from whatever manufacturer. Very unhappy owner!

Old 03-29-10, 11:12 AM
oil change

You are entitled to change your own oil but if they did it you would have a stronger argument.
I hear you and agree Toyota is not the company it used to be.
Millions of guys are fuming about this oil filter.
Did you read about my post in this long thread regarding the "misprint of re torquing the drive shaft?"
Millions of Toyota users are needlessly paying for a service that is a misprint.
I really don't know if any of them have any integrity anymore.

Old 04-13-10, 08:55 AM
I just got a notification in my email with a link that 'JamesFranklin41' had a comment in the auto forum. I clicked on the link but there ws no message.
Anybody get the same?

Old 04-13-10, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator
Peterr, he was a spammer and I deleted the post.

Old 04-13-10, 01:17 PM
spammer

Good going Shady - We all need to exchange important information in these forums and don't need spammers or negativity at all.
Shadieladie rings a bell in the photobucket forum, correct?

Old 04-13-10, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator
Shadieladie rings a bell in the photobucket forum, correct?
Not quite sure what you're talking about, LOL! I've never been on the photobucket forum, so it must be someone else with my name.

Old 04-13-10, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by Shadeladie View Post
Not quite sure what you're talking about, LOL! I've never been on the photobucket forum, so it must be someone else with my name.
>Apologies. I thought your name was one that assisted me in the photobucket forum a while ago but appaerently not.

Old 05-17-10, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by Great_ticket View Post
Finally figured out that I didn't have what was needed and could only replace the oil and leave in the old filter. I have since gone to Toyota and purchased the paper filter and "O" ring (more than a regular filter) but can't find any..............
Ok, everyone I've read enuff of your posts to come to the conclusion that what is needed is a redesign and the installation of a jobber plate. I'm talking a jimmy that replaces the component entirely, but still services the engine properly.

Haven't done this for awhile. Did it once on an older car and two on older tractors, ie: replace canister to spin on. I'm afraid to say it folks, but you'll need to outsmart Toyota and they won't like it. But since they are confident enuff right now to snub you even at this early stage, it's time to show them what good-ole U.S. ingenuity can do.

My 2010 corolla is due for the first change in 200 kms from now, and I've just located the filter. I then came to this forum to get a gauge on the difficulty since I do my own maintenance. I had an echo before this and that's what sold me on the corolla. Not sure if it's my last toyota but I'll see if I get too much flak from from them, or have too much trouble with their filter.

I'm not sure how this can be done yet as I need to look at the way the current setup is designed, but basically at this time I'm thinking a 1/4in circular plate with the standard spin on outside threaded center stub. To the sides for return I'll drill the 3/8inch holes. Spin on filter type will be whatever is rated to a 1.8 litre, or greater engine that is available. The circular plate could be sealed permanently with a rubber seal that looks like a jam jar seal, except it's neoprene and easy to obtain. This stays on forever, and the spin filter seats against the jobber ring just mentioned.

I may even get pissed enough to relocate the filter to some handy place under the hood, just as long as hose diameters better the oil flow, and lengths of hose are short for the given pump pressure. We'll see and I'll get back to you.

Actually, I'm more excited to see how I can modify it. I admit I don't like working with aluminum, but that's not a turnoff.

Sure, toyota will write you off, but I guarantee you'll never see them on the issue of low oil burnout.

One question I don't understand about your posts. You mean to tell me that with an oil leak no engine light comes on the dash.? At the least a low pressure should flag a "check engine" alert code. Even a Honda air cooled has a low oil kick off. Yikes, that's a toyota problem for sure. My guess is that some people don't look at their dash much, I know my wife doesn't.

Spence

Old 05-30-10, 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by ToyMaint View Post
2) You can buy Toyota's tool from any Toyota service department, it will cost you $65 plus shipping, because they won't have it in stock.
I found this part online for $16 plus $5 shipping. Do a search for the part number which is 09228-06501. I got mine from Amazon marketplace. Of course, if you are in the middle of oil change, you are probably going to want a more immediate solution but if you have the time it's a nice tool to have.

Old 05-30-10, 09:28 PM
Exclamation

myself a 'ford' tech for 30& years!
still! cannot figure out the 'mind concept' of folks that are still buying "jap" products!!
sure'they have an 'assembly' plant in georgia or -etc-but -Bottom line -it is still competing with the U/S makers!
where do you work? are you paid in U/S money?!

Old 05-31-10, 09:39 AM
I am not sure what American means anymore. My '05 Equinox was built in Canada with the engine coming from China and the transmission from Japan. The two biggest ticket items. I guess that leaves the body worth about $2000. The rest of the parts come from all over the place including China.

Down the road from where they build the Equinox there is a Toyota plant building their own engines on site. Check out where the Cadillac SRX is made. Mexico. Most of the new small Fords here or coming soon are from Europe in one way or another. 80% of the parts on a Camry are made in America. So is the complete car. What's American anymore in the car industry? Engineering which is the first billion dollars of a car's development is from all over the world these days. Parts are at least 60% of a car's value. Where they come from is even more important in adding jobs than what is done on the line which may add 30 to 40 hours work content to a car. Most of the new Chrysler fleet will be Italian, with some built in Mexico. What seems to be the most American car to me these days is the one that has our tax dollars tied up in it. With that there are a few to choose from. I love my Chevy, but also know where it didn't come from.

Old 05-31-10, 02:28 PM
Group Moderator
I really think this thread has more than run its course (considering the original subject) and will now be closed.

Closed Thread