Quick question about price of brake job

Old 10-15-08, 08:34 AM
Quick question about price of brake job

Hi all-

Quick question.........I have a '04 Honda Odyssey with around 55K miles that needed two new front rotors (the shop said the rotors were too thin to turn), and new front brake pads. I was charged $371.93, including everything, for the front rotors, front brake pads, and labor.

Is that a "reasonable" price? It seemed a bit high to me. Unfortunately the front brake pads were worn too much (rotor was starting to become gouged) for me to be able to shop around like I normally do.

Thanks,
ualdriver

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-08, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator
Well...just a quick look at retail pricing showed discs from $36- 130 (??!!!!) and pad sets from $27-96......

Even if you roughly split the diff on those, thats about $90 x 2 and $55 x 1, so parts are say about $235...and about $135 labor.

Without having a breakdown of actual parts costs, and considering where you are located...I'd say thats pretty accurate. I paid about that much for an '01 Tribute front job, when I was unable to do it myself.

Old 10-15-08, 11:40 AM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
Well...just a quick look at retail pricing showed discs from $36- 130 (??!!!!) and pad sets from $27-96......

Even if you roughly split the diff on those, thats about $90 x 2 and $55 x 1, so parts are say about $235...and about $135 labor.

Without having a breakdown of actual parts costs, and considering where you are located...I'd say thats pretty accurate. I paid about that much for an '01 Tribute front job, when I was unable to do it myself.
I don't have access to the invoice right now, but labor was very near 135 bucks and the other priceds you mention sound pretty familiar. I guess I feel a little better now. It just sounded a bit high and I didn't have time to shop around.

Thanks!

Old 10-15-08, 07:05 PM
Group Moderator
Unfortunately, I have to agree that this sounds about right - brake jobs have gotten expensive.