Subaru Legacy Air Conditioning

Old 10-19-08, 11:21 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Subaru Legacy Air Conditioning

I have a 1995 Legacy with air conditioning. The clutch in the compressor continues to seize up, breaking the belt. If I do not use the air conditioning, do I still need to replace belt (i.e., repair compressor clutch)? Is the car safe to drive without the belt? Thanks for any help given.

Old 10-19-08, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Not sure exactly with your car as to whether you can drive with no belt or not. If it doesn't drive any other accessoriers like power steering or alternator, I don't know why you couldn't though.
But be advised, the A/C compressor will kick on when you use defrost mode as well. At least any cars I know about will.

Old 10-19-08, 12:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
He needs the belt.

Either replace the compressor or try to find a belt from a non-AC Legacy to bypass it.

Old 10-19-08, 06:39 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
could always unhook the 12v to the A/C compressor, that way he can have the full length belt, but the A/C won't come on

Old 10-20-08, 10:50 AM
D
Thanks for everyone's help. The compressor is only for A/C - since I live in Alaska, I don't need it. I also detached the electrical wiring from the compressor clutch, so it free flows now. Appreciate your time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: