Subaru Legacy Air Conditioning

Old 10-19-08, 11:21 AM
Subaru Legacy Air Conditioning

I have a 1995 Legacy with air conditioning. The clutch in the compressor continues to seize up, breaking the belt. If I do not use the air conditioning, do I still need to replace belt (i.e., repair compressor clutch)? Is the car safe to drive without the belt? Thanks for any help given.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-08, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator
Not sure exactly with your car as to whether you can drive with no belt or not. If it doesn't drive any other accessoriers like power steering or alternator, I don't know why you couldn't though.
But be advised, the A/C compressor will kick on when you use defrost mode as well. At least any cars I know about will.

Old 10-19-08, 12:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
He needs the belt.

Either replace the compressor or try to find a belt from a non-AC Legacy to bypass it.

Old 10-19-08, 06:39 PM
could always unhook the 12v to the A/C compressor, that way he can have the full length belt, but the A/C won't come on

Old 10-20-08, 10:50 AM
Thanks for everyone's help. The compressor is only for A/C - since I live in Alaska, I don't need it. I also detached the electrical wiring from the compressor clutch, so it free flows now. Appreciate your time.

Search this Thread