92 Geo Metro Lsi

Old 10-19-08, 03:20 PM
92 Geo Metro Lsi

I have recently installed a used motor in my 92 Metro Lsi. Th problem I am having is that it is using way to much fuel and fouling out the plugs. I have already installed a new throttle position sensor, all new vacuum lines. The engine starts up with no problem but idles way to fast, dumps too much gas to the point it fouls out plugs quickly and smokes real bad out the tail pipe. I have run out of ideas and would really appreciate some ideas of where to go from here.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-08, 04:53 PM
If you're sure it's fuel smoke, I would check the ignition timing, and the quality of the spark. Then the fuel rail pressure if fuel injected (too high a pressure = too rich) also check for leaky injectors. If carbureted look over the carb, it could be the source.

As a rule, though a rich mixture doesn't go with the overly fast idle.

Old 10-19-08, 07:30 PM
Thanks I will check all listed in your post. I may be the reason for the fast idle. When I changed out the throttle position sensor I may have installed it wrong. It is spring loaded and when installed with the spring tension it idles way too fast. Go the other way and it barely wants to stay running.