Coolant smell

Old 10-20-08, 05:08 AM
Coolant smell

I have 2002 Chevy Venture with a 3.4 Ltr. engine and 70,000 miles. We had it into the shop about 2 yrs. ago as the engine was overheating. THe dealer replaced the waterpump and it has been fine ever since. We have put about 10,000 miles on it since they changed it. About 3 months ago we started smelling coolant when your outside the vehicle towards the front end. After the engine warms up it is a pretty noticable smell when your standing at the front end or by the driver/passenger doors. I have inspected this and have found absoulutely no coolant leaking anywhere, the fluid is filled to the top and I have never added any since they changed the waterpump and the engine temp guage shows everthying in the cool range. Sometimes it creeps up a bit when you have been idling for a while but then is normal when you start driving. The waterpump is as quiet as can be and I see know fluid around it or any of the hoses during operation. Any idea what this could be? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-08, 08:34 AM
Once I had a van that was smelling and acting like yours. When I'd have it running and look all around the radiator I couldn't notice anything leaking. One day after I had shut it off and it was sitting for a few minutes, I noticed a slight drip hitting the ground. I looked again under the hood and found a place on the inside area of the radiator that had a tiny trinkle of water coming out. I couldn't see a hole but knew that was the problem. I didn't have to fix it because I didn't want it anymore and my nephew took it and fixed it himself.
Another car we had, a blazer, smelling also. For the life of me I can't remember what the part was called that my husband had to replace, maybe a heater coil? Anyway, the first sign for awhile was the coolant smell, then the windows would fog and you couldn't get them to clear, no heat and then he knew what the problem was. The reason at first we couldn't find a leak but had the smell, it was because it was leaking onto the carpet on the passenger side. I remember he had to take the dash board off to replace this part.
I don't know how long you've had the smell but between the two instances we had, it didn't take long to find the problem with the blazer, while the van was a different story since the problem was so small.

Old 10-20-08, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the info, At this point there is nothing leaking inside the vehicle on the floor nor does it smell inside the vehicle. I have tried to look for any trickle but haven't had any luck. As you stated, I'm sure it will get worse if it is something major and then it will be found