Side Mirror Housing Adhesive?

Old 10-28-08, 02:37 PM
Side Mirror Housing Adhesive?

2000 Camry...drivers' side...
Two minutes ago she swiped the tree next to the driveway. Yup, housing and all...only the electric power cord holding it.
I know, better to replace it all...but it actually (almost) completely snaps back into place....is there any "super" strong adhesive that is out there to "seal" the deal?
Thanks guys, great forum.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-08, 03:07 PM
nope. i do work with plastics professionally, and it might work for something that has axial load, like a porcelaine lamp. anything that is horizontal, due to vibration and force of gravity, will let go.

Old 10-28-08, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator
Theres always a way...how ugly do you want it to be? lol

But I agree, theres nothing that you can just run a little bead on the cracked off area, hold it for 30 sec, and let go. It may stay til you hit the first bump, or the temp changes, or the wind blows.

I'd be checking the better salvage yards. I'll bet thats at least $200 at the dealer, if not more. I mean, they wanted $85 for a door handle assy for my car (not that I paid that), and it was nothing but plastic.

Old 10-28-08, 08:56 PM
How bad is the damage?

IMO, if you want to save money, I would remove the broken portion that is stuck in door first. That would involve removing backing plate/tweeter on the inside of the door (you have to pop it out with a flat head screwdriver). Remove the nuts/ bolts (maybe three of them), then you can extract the broken piece(s).

Then perhaps you can epoxy the pieces properly and rig something like concelaled small screws to reinforce the parts together. Afterwards, you can reinstall the the entire housing in one peice.

Not saying it's doable in all cases, but I think its worth a try.

Old 10-29-08, 07:56 AM
Thanks

Good idea Moike...I'll try that....Ya, I wasn't really sure about some sort of apoxy or ultra adhesive with the mirror and housing being completely off...but there is some of the "plate" left attached to the car door behind it all...I'll see if it works.

Old 10-29-08, 02:52 PM
Group Moderator
That mirror is available aftermarket for less than $50. Beer 4U2

Old 10-30-08, 06:57 AM
Super Moderator
Wow, who'd a thunk it would be that cheap....but yeah, it sure is!