I hope everyone remembers what hand signles are.

Old 10-29-08, 02:39 AM
I hope everyone remembers what hand signles are.

I have a 2001 Ford E-350 and the lower brake lights stopped working. However, the third brake light (the one in the middle) still works and the turn signal still works. in my search so far I have replaced the bulbs (the old ones still worked checked with a charger later). So my quesion is how do the turn signles and the brakes both operate the same element and where can I find that location? Other problems I have power locks keep running and I noticed the rear heater moter was not working. Can all these system tie together at some point?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-08, 05:23 AM
Real simple bud.............First step is to disconnect the brake light switch.....check for power with test light.
NO power????..........go back to the fuse panel
HAS power????...........Jumper the switch

HAVE brake lights??????.............Replace the switch
DON'T have brake lights?????...........Replace the MULTI FUNCTION SWITCH in the steering column

The MFS has been a big Ford PITA for years
Beer 4U2

Old 11-11-08, 01:08 AM
Thank you wrench47 however I regret to inform you that I am much farther along then you are and I'm looking for something other than the basics.

According to my research the brake light circuit does not go through the multi function switch and if wrench47 could provide some documentation it would help me out.

I am looking for a wiring diagram of the chassis for a 2001 Ford E350 with a 5.4 engine. the only manual I could find did not have it.

As I have said in my first posting(THIS IS FOR wrench47) "the lower brake lights stopped working. However, the third brake light (the one in the middle) still works and the turn signal still works" this is a hint that the the brake light switch has power and is working properly, because when you step on the brake pedal one of the three brake light on the back of the van lights up.

Since I started this post the brake lights have started and stopped working several time. Cause of this I feel that I am looking for a bad connection and hope someone Might know where it is.

Thanks
alaskanebular

P.S. the MFS check out fine.

Old 11-14-08, 07:15 PM
"I am looking for a wiring diagram of the chassis for a 2001 Ford E350 with a 5.4 engine. the only manual I could find did not have it."

Autozone usually has wiring diagrams. However, I didn't see one for your specific vehicle. All Data should have it:

ALLDATAdiy.com :: Leading Source of Diagnostic and Repair Information

Under $30 for a year. Definitely worth it in my book

To your problem of the brake lights sporadically working, have you looked at the connectors into the tail light? I'm not too familiar with Ford products. However, I had a very similar problem on my Malibu. I removed the tail light casing. Where the line plugged into that casing, those contacts were corroded. After cleaning the contacts with baking soda and water, the brake light worked fine.

Hope this helps!

Old 11-14-08, 07:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I agree with Mobileman

I had a subscription to Alldata when I had my wifes old car, and it was outstanding.

Old 11-27-08, 09:56 AM
Question

Originally Posted by alaskanebular View Post
Thank you wrench47 however I regret to inform you that I am much farther along then you are and I'm looking for something other than the basics.

According to my research the brake light circuit does not go through the multi function switch and if wrench47 could provide some documentation it would help me out.

I am looking for a wiring diagram of the chassis for a 2001 Ford E350 with a 5.4 engine. the only manual I could find did not have it.

As I have said in my first posting(THIS IS FOR wrench47) "the lower brake lights stopped working. However, the third brake light (the one in the middle) still works and the turn signal still works" this is a hint that the the brake light switch has power and is working properly, because when you step on the brake pedal one of the three brake light on the back of the van lights up.

Since I started this post the brake lights have started and stopped working several time. Cause of this I feel that I am looking for a bad connection and hope someone Might know where it is.

Thanks
alaskanebular

P.S. the MFS check out fine.
Not an expert on electricals, but from my experience it sounds like a ground at the tail lights is not grounded, is corroded, loose, or the connection where the tail lights(lower) and the upper connect. Probably only one positive wire to tail lights(all) and the ground could be a common wire or the ground could be made at the body where the light connects. Good luck. Elect. problems can be a nightmare!!!

Old 12-13-08, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by alaskanebular View Post
I have a 2001 Ford E-350 and the lower brake lights stopped working. However, the third brake light (the one in the middle) still works and the turn signal still works. in my search so far I have replaced the bulbs (the old ones still worked checked with a charger later). So my quesion is how do the turn signles and the brakes both operate the same element and where can I find that location? Other problems I have power locks keep running and I noticed the rear heater moter was not working. Can all these system tie together at some point?
I found it to be the relay under the hood in the power distribution box and since I have no trailer I swapped it out for one of the turn signal relays.
Thanks Ya'll