Evaporator canister replacement 1999 avalon

Old 11-02-08, 09:29 AM
Evaporator canister replacement 1999 avalon

check engine light went on changed the gas cap disconnected the battery light off
light just came back on probably 120 starts did it
couldbe the conister still

were is it ??

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-08, 11:57 AM
any vapor leak in the evap system will turn on the light....first step would be check all hoses for the fuel tank for cracks hoses tend to dryrot..if you don't see anything obvious it would be cheaper to have it smoke tested rather than throw parts at it ....in most cases it a cracked hose or a rusted fuel filler tube....the gas cap was a good cheap try......there are other things that can cause it...stuck purge soleniod...bad pressure switch....check the obvious first

Old 11-02-08, 12:02 PM
oh and one more thing...cause it's getting cold...most systems do not run the monitor if it's below say 40-45 degrees...so if it never get warm you could think you fixed it and have it return in the spring...just a heads up there...you can't monitor fuel vapors if the fuel is cold so the system just doesn't bother

Old 11-02-08, 06:25 PM
evaporator

Thanks for the info
I bought this from my sister and her husband and the car has been kept up great but right after I got it (about 6 months ago) just before this I had trouble getting the gas to fill,, like it had a vapor lock. maybe your comment about the filler tube has some merit? It sounds like with so many different leak sources buying a new canister at the sign of trouble is not the thiing to do. I use this car every day for work with an 89 mile round trip. in 6 months I've put on 6k. What is a smoke test??

thanks again

Old 11-03-08, 03:54 AM
a leak in the system can be very small...most shops have a tool that pumps smoke into the gas tank where the smoke comes out...well you've found your leak

Old 11-03-08, 04:58 PM
Group Moderator
You've had it scanned recently for codes? Maybe something new?

Search this Thread