1997 Jeep Wrangler 6cyl 4.0 excess fuel

Old 11-06-08, 07:08 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I do not have direct access to the vehicle. My grandson tells me the gas consumption was excellent on a trip home from college but on the way back to school it was almost three times what it had been. A shop near his school diagnosed the problem as a hole in the exhaust manifold causing air entering the hole to confuse the O2 sensor which signaled the computer to supply excess fuel. I am sure the O2 will cause this sort of problem but an increase factor of three seems extreme. Does any one have an opinion on this? What are the chances of destroying the Cat Converter with this excess?
Thanks, Hefe

Old 11-06-08, 08:41 AM
Group Moderator
Received 247 Upvotes on 199 Posts
Yes, it can go way up. When the O2 sensor craps on my wrecker I can practically watch the gas gauge drop.

The excess fuel doesn't do the cat any good, but I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that it's dead.

Old 11-06-08, 02:12 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Thanks Tow Guy. Hated to spring for that much $$$ without another opinion. That Jeep will drive me nuts and I only see it when it's broke. When grandson came home last spring he complained of huge fuel consumption. I found the top of the fuel tank, that contains the fuel pump etc, had some way came out of the tank leaving an 8 inch opening.Wonder it did not explode. Now this.

I appreciate your help, hefe

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: