88 celebrity stalls when cold

Old 11-10-08, 02:33 PM
Unhappy 88 celebrity stalls when cold

1988 Chevy Celebrity
V6 2.8L
70,000 miles

I have 88 celebrity that stalls when it is first started when the weather is cold outside. Also the radiator fan runs a soon as the car is started even with the defroster and a/c turned off.
The radiator fan will even keep running when the car is turned off. I have replaced the temp sensor located near the thermostat, it did not correct the fan problem. If it is weather is warm the car starts and runs fine I still have the issue with the fan but if is cold (weather) outside the car stalls. I am wondering if the car thinks it is up to operating temperature when the car is started and that is why the fan is kicking in as soon as it is started. Any troubleshooting help with this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-08, 04:39 PM
not 100% sure on this vehicle, but some vehicles, will have two temp switches one for the gauge and one for the pcm. U can find resistnce values for the temp sensors and measure across them to see if one is reading high. Or if u have access to a scan tool u can read the pcm data to see if this is your problem.

Old 11-10-08, 05:45 PM
Can anyone tell me if an 88 celebrity has two temperature sensors. I have replaced the coolant temp sensor near the thermostat. If there are two can I have location of second temp sensor? thanks

Old 11-11-08, 03:40 PM
Go to:
AutoZone.com | Shopping | Parts | Product Detail - Relay - Radiator Cooling Fan Motor

A number of sensors mentioned there related to cooling/fans.

Old 11-11-08, 06:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Isn't there likely a 'fan relay' (perhaps mounted on fender?)also, that might be stuck?

Old 11-12-08, 03:10 PM
There was a fan relay if I remember right; about $15. Might be worth replacing it without knowing if it is bad or not at that price.