93 Grand Caravan AWD. Overheating/Runs rough

Old 09-17-00, 06:26 AM
Visiting Guest
Exclamation

The above vech is also smoking and useing water. I can see no visable external leaks and having diminished performance. I suspect a internal head gasket leak, and wish to do the work myself. Are there any manuels I can use besides the Haynes I already have. Also is there anything else it can be. We have had excellent service out of this van and wish to continue, but do not want to spend alot 130k miles. Any advice?

Old 09-17-00, 07:30 AM
Visiting Guest
Good Morning:
I would hazard a guess that you are the victim of Chrysler's famous cross flow radiator (which plugs up). If the vehicle was driven hot, it is possible that you warped (or cracked) a head, maybe compromised the head gasket, etc.

Right now, the best thing to do is run some diagnostics on the engine. A cylinder compression test would tell you a lot. A simple vacuum gauge on the intake will give you good information.

I have to side with you on this one. It sounds internal to the engine and would make the first checks there. As for manuals, the Haynes manual is very good. Chiltons has a manual on this series of vehicles but found it hard to gleen information out of it. Check at your local parts house for the Chiltons and have a look at it for yourself.

Smokey

[This message has been edited by Smokey (edited September 17, 2000).]

Old 09-17-00, 11:46 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the info, should I have the radiator boiled out while I do the head. Also how can I know what side to work on?

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Smokey:
Good Morning:
I would hazard a guess that you are the victim of Chrysler's famous cross flow radiator (which plugs up). If the vehicle was driven hot, it is possible that you warped (or cracked) a head, maybe compromised the head gasket, etc.

Right now, the best thing to do is run some diagnostics on the engine. A cylinder compression test would tell you a lot. A simple vacuum gauge on the intake will give you good information.

I have to side with you on this one. It sounds internal to the engine and would make the first checks there. As for manuals, the Haynes manual is very good. Chiltons has a manual on this series of vehicles but found it hard to gleen information out of it. Check at your local parts house for the Chiltons and have a look at it for yourself.

Smokey

[This message has been edited by Smokey (edited September 17, 2000).]
<HR>

Old 02-13-06, 09:27 PM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The above vech is also smoking and useing water. I can see no visable external leaks and having diminished performance. I suspect a internal head gasket leak, and wish to do the work myself. Are there any manuels I can use besides the Haynes I already have. Also is there anything else it can be. We have had excellent service out of this van and wish to continue, but do not want to spend alot 130k miles. Any advice?
Is it 4ohc thay are known for bad head gasket.

Old 02-13-06, 09:40 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

if you're planning on using this van for a while you should consider an engine overhaul or a replacement engine, head gasket replace will fix water leaking but not the smoking issue , 130k miles on it it's a lot for a V6 (?) , smaller engines just have to work harder all the time.
junk yards usually have good engines and will give you a couple months' warranty.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: