heater smells funny - 2001 Nissan Sentra

Old 11-11-08, 01:07 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
heater smells funny - 2001 Nissan Sentra

Hi....Recently, I've noticed that when I turn my heater on, after a few minutes, there is a slight burning smell.

Any ideas on what this could possibly be?

Thanks.

Old 11-11-08, 02:24 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Pine needles or leaves could have gotten in heater vent. There could be something wrong with the heater core.

Old 11-13-08, 11:28 AM
D
The heater blower motor resistor probably has debris on it. When you run the heater blower at the lower speed settings, this part heats up and anything in contact with it can get hot enough to smoke. The resistor is usually located in the heater housing between the blower motor and the heater core and has a connector with multiple wires plugged into it. Also, this is the likely culprit if you ever lose your lower fan speeds.

Old 11-14-08, 12:01 AM
M
Thanks for the replies.

DChalver - I don't know much (obviously) about cars... If the problem is debris on it, then I'm guessing that, over time, it'll just burn off and stop smelling...?

Old 12-11-08, 07:18 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Marie12345
Thanks for the replies.

DChalver - I don't know much (obviously) about cars... If the problem is debris on it, then I'm guessing that, over time, it'll just burn off and stop smelling...?
MAYBE! If it gets hot enough, it could melt the insulation on the wires and short out(possible fire). Do you HAVE ALL fan speeds? Fan motor could be going bad! Car problems USUALLY DON'T fix themselves! Better safe than sorry! Have it checked out!

Old 12-11-08, 05:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Got a funny along these lines. Several years ago, I had an open box of Junior Mints on my dashboard and some of the mints fell into the defroster vent. For a few weeks afterward, I was smelling mint every time I turned the defroster on.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: