98 nissan altima getting hot

Old 11-13-08, 06:44 PM
98 nissan altima getting hot

I am working on my 98 Nissan Altima 4cyl auto the raidator had to be changed because the tank busted, now it runs hot about 40 minutes after its started, it has no thermostat, the low speed fans are cutting on at 200 deg and hi speed comes on at 230 deg and I cut it off at 240 deg. I started it an let it idle for 20 minutes and it ran around 180 then I took it down the road for about 10 min and it ran avg. 200 deg, once I got back and let it continue to idle it started to slowly got hotter till I killed it, once it cooled down I checked the water thinking its loosing it from a head gasket or something but its still full, where do I go now? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-08, 06:56 PM
Did you put a new radiator in it or a salvage job? If it's the latter you could have a plugged radiator.

Old 11-13-08, 06:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
No thermostat? You mean you took it out, because it does have one.

Old 11-13-08, 07:33 PM
Its a new radiator (old cap), and yes I removed the thermostat thinking it may have been the cause, and also it bubbles air into the coolant resivoir as soon as it is started.

Old 11-13-08, 08:25 PM
Upon further inspection I have noticed it is in fact loosing about two cups of water, and the exhaust is heavy steam, I hooked up a code reader and its saying misfire on cylinder two, so its probably gonna be the head or head gasket, I am considering using a head gasket repair selant any ideas on a good brand?

Old 11-14-08, 05:43 AM
Yeah, I would agree with the head gasket. I would take it apart to fix it, though. That way you'd have it done.

There's a lot of sealers out there, but any I would count on for that, dunno.

Old 11-14-08, 04:00 PM
Group Moderator
I haven't used one myself, but there are some sealers on the market that people are swearing by. Very pricey, like $80 a quart. Not sure I would use it unless I really, REALLY didn't want to pull the head.