Codes, 93 Buick Century

Old 11-14-08, 07:50 PM
Codes, 93 Buick Century

Today while driving my Buick 3.3 the check engine light came on for about a minute and then went out. A number of questions. Somewhere I recall reading here that someone shorted out a plug with a paper clip and read the number of flashes. Does anyone know how to do this? Where is the plug? Does the light have to be on to read the codes or are they stored? Will any parts store read them for me?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-08, 09:50 PM
The ALDL connector is on the driver side of the car by the steering column. Short the A and B pins together, which is the two pins in the upper right hand section of the plug. Make sure the key is on, but the engine is off. That will make the check engine light flash whatever codes are stored in the computer. You can use a paper clip to short the pins together. Hope this helps.

Cory

Old 11-15-08, 05:05 AM
Group Moderator
Just a minor clarification:

Short the pins with key off, turn key to on but do not crank/start, read flashes.

Count the flashes in groups. It will first flash a "12": FLASH, pause, FLASH-FLASH; sometimes repeated, then on to the next code and so forth. When it flashes 12 again it's done.

Here's more info"

Troublcodes.net Trouble Codes OBD & OBD2 Trouble Codes and Technical info & Tool Store. By BAT Auto Technical

If you post results back here we'll try to help decipher them.

Old 11-25-08, 02:10 PM
Smile

If you still have the owner's manual, it may tell you another way to find codes. Mine does. Sequence of on/off of the ign. switch and the codes start flashing. Either way as long as you get the codes. Luck!

Old 11-25-08, 06:36 PM
That's not how you get the codes from my 93 Buick Century. Even our owners manual doesn't say anything about the codes. It says if the check engine light comes on, to take to a Buick dealer.

Old 11-26-08, 07:36 AM
Group Moderator
The owner's manual will tell you take it to the dealer for EVERYTHING from soup to nuts. Okay by me, but be prepared for the bill.

The procedure in my previous link will work.

Old 12-03-08, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the replies.
Day I wrote this my friend asked if I wanted to go on a trip on his houseboat. Does a bear do doo in the woods?
Anyway I'm back and will check this out thanks for all the info.
Very helpful I also have the factory manual.
I change the fuel filter, car runs better but it's not listed as source of trouble.