87 4 runner

Old 11-17-08, 09:03 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
87 4 runner

I just bought and 87 4 runner with the 22RE engine that is in excellent shape. I need some opinions on the engine though. When I got it I did the basic tune-up, plugs, wires, fuel filter, etc. It was running pretty rough before this tune-up and got substantially better. I found out that it didn't have an air filter and I have no idea how long it was run without it. My current problem is that it has a really rough idle. It seems to run fine down the road but is rough when idling, especially in gear. I have played with the timing(w/o a light) and it helped some. I had an 87 p/u several years ago with the regular 22R and was more familiar with the carbed motor. Do you think that the injectors are plugged? I have seafoam in the tank now but have only driven it about 20 mile since the registration is out of date. Any ideas?

Old 11-18-08, 10:26 AM
K
I drove it about 20-25 more miles yesterday and it seems to be getting very poor mileage as well.

Old 11-19-08, 07:05 AM
C
Since you said no air filter I would look to clean the air flow sensor--if you have one. My 95 altima has one and when it got dirty it acted like the distributor was dirty, i.e. running poorly.
I would then check distributor cap and rotor.
Next the oxygen sensor.
maybe bad gas?

Hope I helped

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: