Wheel Alignment Question

Old 11-17-08, 08:16 AM
Wheel Alignment Question

I own a 2006 Pontiac Montana SVS AWD. It has 31,000 miles on it. The OE tires are to the point where they need replacing (Poor tire rating on those tires from all who own them)...

The REAR tires on the vehicle have displayed signs of cupping. Is that NORMAL?

Putting on a new set of tires is on the near horizon.

I am by no means a car buff nor do I know a lot about cars.

Here is my question...........I have been told that the REAR wheels need to be re-aligned. I never have heard of this before. Is this something "normal"?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-08, 08:30 AM
Group Moderator
Depends on your definition of "normal". I wouldn't expect a new vehicle to get out of alignment in 31,000 miles, but it's possible it came from the factory a little "out". Back in the good old days the only thing that could be aligned was the front end. Nowadays many cars rear is also adjutable for alignment. I would get the alignment done (four wheel) when the new tires are put on. With the latest electronic computerized equipment they should be able to give you a readout of where the alignment stood when they started and what they finished with. It's pretty high tech stuff. I've never owned an AWD vehicle, but my guess would be that four wheel alignment may be a little more critical than in a 2wd vehicle.

Old 11-17-08, 03:48 PM
yes it is very normal,I would say that probably 95% of all front or all wheel drive vehicles with independent rear suspension have adjustable rear alignment angles,and its been this way for at least 30 years or more.

Old 11-18-08, 03:54 AM
I learned something new today. I'm a bit "older" than most on here so not used to all the new fangled stuff on cars these days.

I'm going in for the new tires today and will have ALL wheels aligned.

Thanks for the input guys!

Old 11-18-08, 04:52 PM
Also remember to rotate your tires every 5-6000 miles. I do mine every other oil change. You get more life from your tires and it helps cut down on the cupping.

Old 11-19-08, 04:49 AM
Group Moderator
I suspect that's another area that may be more critical on an AWD vehicle than a 2WD.

Old 11-27-08, 08:48 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by wisconsincraft View Post
I own a 2006 Pontiac Montana SVS AWD. It has 31,000 miles on it. The OE tires are to the point where they need replacing (Poor tire rating on those tires from all who own them)...

The REAR tires on the vehicle have displayed signs of cupping. Is that NORMAL?

Putting on a new set of tires is on the near horizon.

I am by no means a car buff nor do I know a lot about cars.

Here is my question...........I have been told that the REAR wheels need to be re-aligned. I never have heard of this before. Is this something "normal"?
Front wheel drive cars(actually all cars)can benefit from 4 wheel alignment. I built a '29 ford street rod and had all tires and wheels aligned and balanced. Makes a difference in the way it tracks and of course the tire wear. Cupping is because you didn't keep the tires balanced or the shocks are bad. But with 31k miles, I can't believe they are bad. As you said, there must have been a bad run of tires on that model if they are the original tires.

Old 11-27-08, 01:04 PM
almost all front wheel drives will cup the rears, especially if not rotated regularly partly from the difference in weight transfer front to rear. 4 wheel alignment will defiantly help. cheep tires are more prone to cupping also.

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies

Search this Thread