shifting out of park

Old 11-23-08, 06:11 AM
Unhappy shifting out of park

I have a 1998 Olds Intrigue. I like the car alot, but there has been an annoying problem that is getting to be an every day occurence. It has an automatic transmission. After starting the car you must press down on the brake pedal before pushing the release button on the shifter to take the car out of park into reverse or drive. The shifter release button is getting harder and harder to push in. I have tried the suggestions that were in the manual. One, being where you push the shifter up towards Park as far as possible, which is suppose to take pressure off the shifter, then trying to push the release button in, and second turn the key to ACC, push the brake pedal down while releasing the push button. Put the car in Neutral, start the car and then put it into reverse or drive. Neither way is doing much good. There have been several times I thought I would never get the push button to release on the shifter. The shifter angles downhill from left to right, instead of going straight across, which seems to add to the problem. Basically I have to take my right thumb, put it on the release button of the shifter, while using the bottom palm of my left hand on top of my right thumb, and push as hard as I can to get the button to release. This is getting very annoying, plus it hurts my right thumb. The problem is worse when the car has sat for a while, like first thing in the morning, or when I leave work in the afternoon. If you make several stops, the push button release on the shifter seems to loosen up a bit, but it can still be hard to push in. Sorry for all the rambling. I hope this post makes sense concerning the problem. Should I take the car to a mechanic, and if so, what can they do to remedy the situation? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks for your time and input. Dean

Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-08, 09:02 AM
Sounds like the mechanism might need adjustment due to wear or something getting loose over time. I'd try a shop to repair it. By chance, do you park on a hill, do you apply your parking brake before engaging trans in Park?
B

Old 11-23-08, 09:40 AM
No, I don't park on a hill or slope of any kind. I have a mechanic friend I will take the car to and see if he can correct the problem, because it is very annoying.

Old 11-23-08, 03:20 PM
There might be a shift lock solenoid problem. This solenoid forces you to use the brake before it allows you to shift out of park. Could also be a shift cable adjustment issue.

Old 11-25-08, 02:43 PM
cbuddy2005, you hit the nail on the head. I carried the car to my mechanic friend today and he fixed the problem. It was the shift lock solenoid that was bad. Now the release button is easy to push, and you can shift out of park with no problem. Thanks for your input.