Block Heaters

Old 11-23-08, 05:49 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Block Heaters

So, I've read posts about block heaters, oil pan heaters, etc. I'm a little nervous (probably uneccessarily so) about attaching something to my oil pan every night or morning that creates heat. Probably just paranoia. I'm a house painter without much car savvy so I figure I'll go to the experts. I'm also a little too lazy to get under the car every day/night since it's freezing here with loads of snow.

My question I guess is...Roughly how much would one expect to pay for installation of a block heater on a '93 Honda Civic?

If this has been answered to death in previous posts..my apologies.

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-23-08, 06:12 AM
M
Received 34 Upvotes on 33 Posts
Yeah, this thing was gone through a couple of times. A good block heater (which you should do - you'll probably only buy it once for that car) will run around $40.00 - $50.00. That would be a block heater that circulates the water. You just plug it in with a cord that extends from the front of your car. You can hang them out around the grill or someplace in that area.

The electric jobs that go in the oil will tend to cook the oil and not circulate the heat - the water circulating type is best. The kicker can be whether your engine has the access to the water jacket where it can be installed. You'll need to check the type you're looking at.

There are some cheaper jobs that go in the radiator hose - simple installation, but not nearly as effective since they don't circulate.

If you can get the regular water circulating block heater you won't regret putting it on. It just takes care of cold weather starting problems and makes the process a lot easier on your engine.

I use block heaters on a large farm tractor and a smaller one, both of which I use during the winter months in Iowa - never a problem starting them.

Old 11-23-08, 07:02 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks Marobj. I think the water circulating one is the one my Dad always used too. Just moved back to a freaking cold climate after 15 years on the warmer, west coast of Canada. I'll check into what the labour costs will be for installation around these parts. I assume you have to core a hole in the crankcase to get at the water jackets. I sure won't be doing that part. Thanks again.

Old 11-23-08, 07:13 AM
M
Received 34 Upvotes on 33 Posts
No, Bill, you don't do that. Different engines have different accesses to the water jacket built into the engine or water pump or lines to the heater core. You work with existing access points. Nothing goes through the crankcase.

It's normally a DIY job.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: