Drum brake spring, which first?

Old 11-24-08, 08:37 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Drum brake spring, which first?

Does it really matter if the secondary spring end overlaps the primary spring end on the anchor pin? I cannot get them back on the anchor pin in this order without lapping, but can get the primary end on first and overlap it with the secondary.

Vehicle is a 93 Explorer.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-08, 03:11 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by n0c7 View Post
Does it really matter if the secondary spring end overlaps the primary spring end on the anchor pin? I cannot get them back on the anchor pin in this order without lapping, but can get the primary end on first and overlap it with the secondary.

Vehicle is a 93 Explorer.
It REALLY doesn't matter. It is just a fixed point for the spring. It should go back on the way it came off however. Those spring CAN be a pain in the butt! I use vise grips on the shank of the spring to streach it over. Good luck and be careful.

Old 11-26-08, 04:56 PM
N
I tried again, rebent the springs a bit and was able to get them back on the way the came off. A mechanic I know said the same thing as you mineTN. He said he's had some instances where they would resist going back the same way, and he's never had any of them come back in with complaints.

I picked up a spring tool that gives you leverage to put them back on as well, works like a charm once you get the hang of it. I found it useless for removing springs though. I found prying with a flathead to work just fine.

Old 11-27-08, 08:37 AM
Cool

Originally Posted by n0c7 View Post
I tried again, rebent the springs a bit and was able to get them back on the way the came off. A mechanic I know said the same thing as you mineTN. He said he's had some instances where they would resist going back the same way, and he's never had any of them come back in with complaints.

I picked up a spring tool that gives you leverage to put them back on as well, works like a charm once you get the hang of it. I found it useless for removing springs though. I found prying with a flathead to work just fine.
I find by clamping a pair of locking pliers on to the shaft of the spring, I can remove or replace it without the danger of the spring flying off and doing damage.

Old 11-27-08, 12:32 PM
N
On this particular vehicle, I found it hard to get a good set of pliers on some of the springs because they didn't have much room to grab. Long nose pliers was the only option and its hard to get enough bite.

One question though - the bracket that locks the adjuster in place, if I pull it forward it does not retract back and lock in place. I can only lift it up and down and it stays in place. Is this normal?

Old 11-28-08, 10:22 AM
Thumbs up

If you are talking about the little arm that keeps the star wheel from moving, then yes it only moves up and down. When you turn the wheel to adj. the shoes, this keeps the wheel from moving in the opposite direction and allowing the brake shoes to get looser. Be sure to grease the adjuster to make adjusting the brakes easier.

Old 11-28-08, 11:50 AM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
to the guys using pliers and screwdrivers to remove and replace the springs;

don't be this cheap. I have seen springs fly and hit people. I have seen guys run scewdrivers into body parts when they slipped.

this little tool here will save you many moments of frustration and very well could prevent a hospital visit.

Do not buy a cheap one as they are not all built the same.

Old 11-29-08, 07:54 AM
S
I agree with Nap! The proper tool will save alot of frustration and possible personal injury.

Old 12-01-08, 01:13 PM
N
That's what I bought. It was great for putting the springs back on, but would not remove them worth a penny. I'm sure there are some out there that are better than others. Good advice nap.