How to flush out old brake fluid?

Old 11-26-08, 09:09 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to flush out old brake fluid?

Is there a way to draw out old brake fluid from the bleeder screws without having to constantly push and hold the brake pedal while loosening/tightening the bleeder screw?

I'm trying to find a way to get out the old fluid from all my lines, but the single pedal pumping method is so slow.

I have a 1995 altima. No ABS

Old 11-26-08, 09:49 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I use a Might-vac to suck out as much fluid from the master cylinder as possible. Then I use a power flusher I made from a small garden sprayer to force new fluid thru all the brake lines. A cheap alternative is to do as you are -- remove as much dirty fluid from the MC then pump the pedal to force new fluid out each bleed zerk (takes 2 people.

Old 11-28-08, 04:50 PM
A
The Mity vac is a good idea in theory, but it may not work so well.

When I flushed the brakes on my truck, the Mity Vac seemed to suck alot of air through the threads of the bleeder, and not so much fluid. It only got a good draw of fluid on one of the wheels. In the end I went the old fashioned way with two people.

Good luck!

Old 11-28-08, 04:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by ande3171
The Mity vac is a good idea in theory, but it may not work so well. When I flushed the brakes on my truck, the Mity Vac seemed to suck alot of air through the threads of the bleeder............

Good luck!
What you have to do is completely remove the bleed screw and put some teflon tape on the threads then screw it back in. Then the air will not be sucked in around the threads. works for me.

Old 11-29-08, 09:23 AM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
Teflon taping the bleeders to prevent drawing air plus simply pumping the brake pedal will work. Put a bleeder hose on and submerge end in fluid and s-l-o-w-l-y pump the pedal, pausing after each pump. Do it this way on my wrecker from time to time and after replacing a leaking rear wheel cylinder not too long ago used that method whcih actually cured a persistent problem with weak rear braking.

Old 12-04-08, 08:09 AM
I
I also use a MityVac, but I only use it to drain the master cylinder as a first step. Then I refill the master cylinder with new fluid then flush the rest the old fashioned way by pumping the brakes. So, essentially I'm using the MityVac as an aide to speed up the whole process.

Old 12-11-08, 01:10 PM
P
When I worked on aircraft, we had a pressure pot that connected to the bleeder screws and would force air and fluid up through the brake master cylinders to a common reservoir.

Expanding on the teflon tape. There is a reusable thread locking compound that I started using for aerospace applications. It is applied to the threads before you install the fastener. It is more of a rubber compound than a glue that dries. It is called Vibra-Tite by a company called ND. I found it in Mcmaster.com. I think I will experiment with it in DOT IV Brake Fluid to see how it works...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: