car wont start when it is hot

Old 11-27-08, 04:51 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
car wont start when it is hot

Hi i have a skoda felicia 96 it is a carburetor engine when the engine gets hot it does not start easily and now recently when the engine is cold, it starts fine, but when driving it gives a sputter like it wants to stall and even more it actually stalled completely just the other night and the alternator light came on while i was driving home what could it be. Wrong alternator belt timing, carburetor or distributor cap any help is greatly appreciated (it is a brand new alternator belt)

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-08, 08:51 AM
When was the last time you had the engine serviced (tuneup): spark plugs, plug wires, new distributor cap, new rotor?
Could be the choke staying closed; it should be wide open when the engine is warm. You could take off the air cleaner when engine is warmed up and see if the choke is open or closed. Does it start right up again when it stalls or does it continue to run poorly?

Old 11-27-08, 10:12 AM
hard to start

i dont know much about your car. I do alot of work on chevy , ford , and dodge's and if they dont want to start when hot usualy coil if it turns over freely and if it dont want to turn over very good it could be the starter. If it spits and sputters it could be as easy as needing a new air cleaner. Hope this helps.

Old 11-27-08, 11:15 AM
Rockers' adjustment?

Hi Risingstud.
Your problem might come from too tight rockers
Little by little the valves and valves' seats are wearing out and at one moment the gap between rockers and valves is almost nothing. So when the engine is hot, exhaust valves do not close well and you have to insist on your starter, until enough cool air has cooled the valves and closed the gap.
It happened to me with a 2CV Citroen (a legend car in Europe) and until one maintenance day when I checked the rockers for the first time, I had realized the gap was close to nothing. After tuning the problem has disappeared.
Later I met one of the former owners of the car and he told me there was a problem with the petrol pump because when the engine was hot it has to be primed by cranking the starter.
This problem had lasted for 6 to 7 years!
If the engine is sputtering, clean your plugs, your carburetor and check the air filter.
Skodas are very tough and reliable, good choice!
Good luck!
Marc

Old 11-27-08, 02:09 PM
thanks for your advise will try

Old 11-28-08, 08:36 PM
hi just to update you guys i drove it tonight i got in started warmed up on the spot and then moved off and it drove to where i was going fine but coming back now after spending about 2 hours there i got in warmed it up again and moved off, it drove a few metres and sputtered, lost acceleration and just no more acceleration and the battery came on in my dash, but the lights were still on, the radio still playing plus the battery is new so i know it ain't the battery help me out anybody. So could it be it is not warming up properly or is it fuel pump or distributor

Old 11-28-08, 08:47 PM
check for vapor locking as well as the valve clearance mentioned above. if not those you might have problem with the electronics heating up and breaking down in your ignition circuit

if we're not supposed to eat animals why are they made out of meat?

Old 11-30-08, 03:28 PM
hi guys i tried changing the ignitor box because some other skoda owners told me those ignitor boxes give troulble if they get in any water but still the same result so my next trial and error project would be the fuel pump and see what happens

Old 12-03-08, 04:44 AM
hi i did not get to change the fuel pumpp as yet, but the problem stopped for now what should i do, like i said i changed the ignitor box and the night i was driving it home it did the same thing any suggestions

Old 12-03-08, 08:12 AM
Exclamation

If it starts and runs fine when cold, and sputters/stalls when warm, sounds like the choke is not adjusted properly. If you have a temp. controlled vacuum port, you could have a leaking vacuum hose that doesn't leak until it warms up and the heat from the engine re-directs the vacuum. Check all vacuum hoses for looseness, cracking or missing. As stated, the butterfly in the carb. should be verticle when warm. Check the mounting bolts on the carb. to be sure there is no vacuum leak there.

Old 12-24-08, 09:16 PM
check the vacume lines if not that then check the pickup in the distributor or might have some bad gas

Old 12-25-08, 07:00 AM
I am going to key in on the statement you made about the "battery light" coming on.....

When you drove the other day, you said it got you there just fine. However, on the way back the car acted up and the battery light came on. When you drove there, was it daytime and on the way back night? If so, there is the possibility that your alternator is putting out enough to charge your battery, run your radio and keep your car running. However, when you turn your lights on it may be just enough to load it down. If this is happening, then your spark wouldn't be as hot and could cause it to miss.

I would check to see if the alternator is putting out enough voltage with all the electrical stuff turned on: radio, lights, air conditioner, etc... make sure the engine is warm as heat can effect the alternator too.

good luck

Old 12-26-08, 02:29 PM
check your ignition timing. last time i had to deal with this, too advanced timing will do exactly that - hard to no hot starts.
easy test is - on a hot engine, go up a long hill, and somewhere midway on it, step on accelerator. if you start hearing crunchy noise coming from the engine - there it is. timing too advanced.
some folks do it this way as it gives more pep to the engine.
Skoda, hah? we had plenty of those back in old country. Beer 4U2 nazdar, druharu.