funny auto repairs

Old 11-27-08, 01:28 PM
funny auto repairs

how about sharing some of your funny auto repair stories with us.

a couple come to mind for me, back in 1976 when i was working for my brother at his station we had a guy who had his old Chevy panel van hauled in for repair "he said he was driving down I-35 and it just quit pulling" so we put it up on the lift and started it up then put it in gear, no noise and neither rear tire moved, shut it off and raised it up higher to get a drain under the differential (this van had a enclosed drive shaft so the rear end would have to be pulled to change out the drive shaft) as I removed the bolts from the differential cover we kept expecting gear lube to pour out but none did then as the last one came out and the cover was removed the only thing that came out was metal chips and shavings. boy did i have a funny look on my face when the inside of that differential was even dry no grease residue!!

after i started driving for a local wrecker company i got a call to go out to the local Lincoln mercury dealer that they had locked the keys in a running new car, and needed an unlock
the funny part was the passenger window was partly down and all i did was stick a short wire down and hit the unlock button, the joke on me was we didn't get to charge them for the unlock as we were there preferred tow company and this was a freebie.

Murphy was an optimist

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-08, 06:49 PM
a few pops to mind too..

When i was working for my self doing auto body repairs, we had a massive body shop round the corner doing insurance work mostly. One time we had a guy come round to get a re-assessment on a repair done by them. OMG iv never seen such crap work! Scratches , chips, trim hanging off. even trim not fitted or even upside down :s And to think insurance companies recommend them, or even approve this sort of shoddy work, and charge you more!!

Same place again but i was working for another company. a car comes in to have some work done because the company it came from couldn't be bothered to do it... what i dont get was they had the rear end apart and didnt fit something so we had to remove it all again to fit it. something i still cant get my head around to this day!

Peace.

Old 11-28-08, 07:56 PM
When I worked in a GM dealership I had an older gentleman come in and tell me he had a car with a skip in it. The car was a 80s model Buick Regal with a 3.8 liter v-6. I asked him what he had done to fix it, he said he could not find the problem, also said"I checked all the wires and they all shock". I asked him to show me how he checked them, he started the car and one by one pulled the wires from the plugs and stuck his finger in the end!!

Old 11-28-08, 08:13 PM
when i worked at the OU motorpool we had a professor ride his bicycle in to pick up a rental car, stop at the gas pump and air both tires up without a guage and immediatly blow both tires due to the high pressure (we kept the pressure at 165psi) because some of our truck tires ran at 120 psi. he insisted that the tires blowing up was our fault that we kept our air pressure to high for safety. the shop foreman just laughed him out the door.

murphy was an optimist.

Old 11-28-08, 08:50 PM
I used to work at a small repair shop about 15 years ago. We did mostly tune ups and some motor rebuilds. There was a guy that I worked with, that could make the motor stall on any v8. Just by placing his hands on the motor. He would put one on the block and the other hand, he would put over the distributor while it was running. It would die as soon as he done this. I watched him. He did not unplug anything. It just died. I figured if he could do it. Why not me. So I tried it.
My arm still hurts.

Old 11-29-08, 04:41 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I remember when I was a teenager with my first car (55 Chevy). We always did our own work, pulling transmissions to replace clutches, swapping engines, etc. Well, mine had a Powerglide. Word to the wise, don't be under a powerglide when you pull it. Young and dumb, I didn't know the thing weighed 400 pounds. Not enough money to invest in a lift. Getting it back in was even more fun.

Old 11-29-08, 05:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The strongest man I ever met was at a tranny shop. He came by to pick up an automatic transmission, he was in a hurry and didn't want to wait for them to help. He picked it up and started walking to his truck. While they were scrambling to drop the tail gate, he just simply hoisted it up over the side and set it in the bed.

I told this to one of my neighbors [who knew the guy] He said years ago, his daddy bought a 283 from the guy. It was buried in his shop, the guy started it up and my buddy's daddy agreed to come back and buy it. The guy said whats wrong with now, his daddy said I'll pay when it's in the back of my truck so the guy grabbed some rags and picked up the V8 by the headers, walked over all the junk, set it in the truck and said pay me!.

..... and the last time I pulled a hogs head out of ford rear end - it was way heavier than I remembered

Old 11-30-08, 03:53 PM
Funny auto repairs

I was working on a car one time and a spark jumped to my arm,ran through my body and discharged from a very delicate part of my anatomy to the fender. Gave a whole new meaning to the phrase"hot pants" RW

Old 11-30-08, 06:04 PM
when i worked for my brother in high school and thought having long hair was cool i had to pull a trannie and was working on a creaper under a car, rolled my hair up into a creaper wheel and it took my about 15 min to work my way out from under the car. got my hair cut the next day and never had long hair again!!

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies

Old 12-01-08, 08:52 AM
funny stories

I had a kid that worked for me that got his hair caught in a creeper,so to keep things moving I took my tin snips and cut his hair off. He didnt get a hair cut but he looked kinda lopsided for a while. RW

Old 12-01-08, 10:11 AM
When I was young, working weekends and evenings in a service station a guy came in in a newer out of town cadillac jumped out and said he busted a hole in his gas tank on a rock while looking at some property. I scooted under there for a look see and yep, there was a steady stream of $0.29/gallon gas coming from a small hole in the tank. I grabbed the gum outa my mouth and stuffed it in the hole. It hardened immediately and stopped the leak in its tracks. Put it on the lift and slapped some fiberglass over the gum and sent him on his way home telling him to get a new gas tank installed ASAP.

Old 12-01-08, 03:46 PM
29 cents a gallon? how long ago was that?

Old 12-01-08, 03:57 PM
Oooh, not that long ago. I remember it in the 60's. You could fill up for under 5 bucks. Of course running a 348 with 3 deuces you did it quite often. Never knew what "gas mileage" was. Who cared? We wanted performance.

Old 12-01-08, 06:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I remember my daddy buying gas for 11 cents a gallon - but that was during a gas war - the kind they used to have at the corner gas stations, not across the world

Even in the early 70's before Nixon instated the price and wage freeze, gas was still under 30 cents. Funny how the night before he announced the price freeze, gas shot up from a quarter a gallon to 33 cents.

Old 12-01-08, 06:48 PM
ooh chandler did you spend much time trying to syncronise the 222's, had that on a 318 with a solid lifter cam in a 69 chev van (yea i know it was a mopar) lot of fun with kids who though it would be a push over at lights.

Murphy was an optimist

Old 12-01-08, 08:14 PM
Originally Posted by wire twister View Post
29 cents a gallon? how long ago was that?
1970 or thereabouts. I owned a Phillips 66 Station and routinely had gas price wars with the AMOCO across the street.

Old 12-02-08, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator
OK, just remembered this... was about 1977-78

Buddy had an old Toyota pickup. Ran pretty good, but when trying to accelerate in lower gears (like from a stop) or in higher gears at low rpm, it sputtered and bucked real badly. Everything was plugged in real tight, new wires, new points, cap, fuel filter....all the standard stuff was checked and replaced. Still did it. Only thing we noticed was that he was loosing a little bit of coolant over time, but compression checks were fine and no oil in water or vice-versa, and we couldn't find any leaks.

Well, after an....(ahem) altercation involving myself, a girl and her boyfriend, a shovel somehow became embedded in the hood. We figured it would be easier to straighten and patch the dent and hole with the hood off. As we were driving it for refreshments after removing the hood, we noticed a thin spray of water on the windshield under acceleration.

Turned out there was a tiny slit right at one of the clamps on a hose, and when the engine torqued over the slit would open enough to spray water directly on the distributor/coil area when the hood was closed, thus the bogging and bucking. Didn't do it when revving in neutral, cause the engine didn't torque over enough.

New hose and clamp and it ran fine...I think it had a gash and primer on the hood till he wrecked it later, though we did remove the shovel.

Old 12-03-08, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator
What...no comments at all? Thats one of my best stories (though I did have to clean it up quite a bit)...lol!

Old 12-03-08, 06:38 PM
Group Moderator
Well we've been too busy laughing.....WITH you, not AT you (yeah, right). Beer 4U2

Old 12-03-08, 07:31 PM
sorry the motel i was stuck in last night internet was out and i couldn't read your post. that is a good one, especially the shovel. hope no one was hurt on that.

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies

Old 12-06-08, 07:55 AM
About 15 years ago I was working as a gas attendant/cashier at a service station. A guy came in mentioned a thumping noise when driving. My boss checked it out. There was a railroad spike stuck in the tire. My first thought was how could you not notice hitting something like that.

Old 12-06-08, 09:55 AM
Funny repairs

A friend of mine worked in a station and one night a drunk came driving in with a flat tire. He had ran it till the rim was flat and just a few strings were hanging on it.He said"check my tires,if that one has enough air the others have way too much" RW

Old 12-06-08, 11:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I always liked the one's that customer borough in in a box and wondered why we would charge more to put back together. But I really liked the one the guy had towed in with lower control arms chained up after he tried to change the springs at home. Part of reason I retired from auto.

Old 12-06-08, 04:44 PM
A buddy had a Ford Custom pickup. He got in a fender bender and the hood got bent enough that it wouldn't close and latch. At work one day we took the hood off and built a little doghouse-looking enclosure over the engine out of 3/4" plywood. It kind of made the truck look like something from the Beverly Hillbillies. All the other guys at work ragged him like hell, but he drove the truck that way for a few years afterwards.

Old 12-08-08, 04:31 AM
Just thought of another. I needed to replace a fuse in my daughter's car. I figured the nearby radio shack might have the right one. I asked the kid behind the counter, and after describing it to him he found me one. When I was checking out he asked "So you drive a school bus?" I had no idea what he was talking about or where that question came from. Then it hit me. I had asked him for a buss fuse! I chuckled all the way home.

Old 12-10-08, 04:56 AM
When I was a truck mechanic for IHC a Pinto was traded in for a new Scout. The Pinto needed a new clutch and the salesman, aware of the thin profit margin and a prospective customer at his side, asked if I could replace the clutch that evening. The Pinto customer said he would purchase it if he could get the car that night. A replacement clutch was delivered to me and I completed the job in 50 minutes. Started the engine, put it in gear, and......nothing. You can imagine my disgust when I discovered I had installed a clutch for a 2000 cc instead of the 1600 cc I was working on....the 2000 cc clutch has a larger spline. I thought that transmission went in too easy!!

Old 12-10-08, 07:21 AM
this was told to me by a mechanic friend when i was a snap-on dealer, jim owned a small rebair garage and would work on anything that came in the door." TAC (used to run buses for the postal training center) had a clutch go out on one of their buses and brought it into jim for repair, well they didn't like the estimate so they went to a salvage yard and got a clutch and brought it to him and insisted he install it. he made them sign a waiver that no warrenty would be on used parts or labor for installing their parts. you guessed it about 5 days later the used clutch went out also, TAC tried to make him repair it at his cost even though he told them no warrenty. fortunatly he had the signed waiver in small claims court.

if we're not supposed to eat animals why are they made out of meat?